Around my yard this morning

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Jul 9, 2009.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The trapizoid raised rose bed is complete, except for the painting my Grandson will do next week, and planted. This fall I have some wildflower seeds that I intend to scatter over the bed and hopefully next spring the bed will be full of flowers before the roses even break leaf.

[​IMG]
    I need one more rose to fill in the space ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

On the north side of the driveway the Cannas are really beginning to bloom.
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The bed on the north side of the driveway is filling out really well. I lost 6 plants out there last month to a blight of some sort and have been holding off adding new ones to see if anything else becomes affected. But so far everything else is fine.
    [​IMG]
    One end of side bed. ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Five of the plants I lost would have been large and green in this part of the bed, 4 Fall Asters and a Daisy. The bird feeder was full of Safflower seeds, sloppy birds have given me some seedlings by that pole that I hope will grow and bloom.

[​IMG]
    Upper end of bed. ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

I am really excited about this one. It is the future Herb Garden. There will be shelves and a gate added this weekend. I chose to put down black plastic and mulch to make my life easier. The herbs will be in pots on the shelves, there are two Comfrey plants in the ground at the end opposite the gate, I want to add an Apothecary Rose between them this fall. Pots of different mints will sit on the ground under the shelves. I have a Concord grape vine in a pot that I am going to train along the front fence panel.

[​IMG]
    Future herb garden ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Oh, yeah, this is the color stain I finally decided on for the fence panels. My oldest grandson wants to earn some money this summer, he got one painted before going to Scout camp and will be over next week to paint more.

[​IMG]
    The color I chose. ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That herb garden is going to be great Toni and I think the fence colour looks great.

BTW why the trapezoid shape on the raised bed?

4. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I'm wondering the same thing!

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I think everything looks wonderful Toni.
    I can't wait to see that herb garden finished and I love the color of paint you picked too.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Why a trapezoid shape for the rose bed? Because I bet no one else has one. :-D
    I originally thought of having a plain boring rectangle but realized that would interfere with the path around the circle bed I was planning...so trapezoid it became. ;)

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I like the trapizoid raised bed Toni as it's a real talking point as well as being practical. Your herb garden is going to look great once the shelves and pots are all in place and I think your choice of colour for the fence panels is perfect. :stew2:

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Toni, I find this selection of fotos very exciting. It shows quite well how your various plots and fencing is working. I have been very curious about that.
    The paint job of the fence looks very chic and gardeny at the same time--I guess it's the tint of green.I was wondering if those plants that you lost to "blight" wasn't cat spray or dog P.. It it was, you'll need to come up with a way to keep it off your precious plants.
    Those Cannas are making quite a show. I'm jelous of folks that can grow them. I haven't had any luck here. I guess it's the climate where my garden is.
    I like your plan for the geometrical raised bed. I hope to see some pics later on as things develop.
    All in all-- a very nice and interesting posting this time, Toni. I can't wait to see and read more as the metamorphosis continues.

9. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Well OK, that is a good reason, along with it is your yard and you can do with it what you want. :D :D :D I like the trapezoid style and for sure no one else will have one. Looks very nice and I do love the fence panels. I would like to get a couple as a back drop for some crazy idea that I'll probably come up with!!!!!!!! :D :p :D :p :D :p

10. Tammyd

Tammyd Seedling Plants Contributor

toni, your beds look so nice. I love the fence panels and the herb garden idea is very creative. Are the fence panels very expensive? I have been thinking of putting some up to make corners at either side of my driveway. The trapezoid shaped raised bed is very unique. I like the way your express yourself in your garden!

11. petunia

petunia Young Pine

You've been very busy. Everything looks great. Those cannas are very pretty too. I like what your doing with the fencing. I can't wait to see what your herb garden will look like when your finished.