Assorted Sedum going wild!!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by toni, Jun 13, 2014.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

These were freebies with a plant order I got from Michigan Bulb this Spring. They came to me as tiny plants and lately they have gone wild growing and flopping all over the place. I have never had much success with Sedum, I have no idea if they should be cut back or left to grow like crazy. Do they get fuller if cut back? Should I start making tiny trellises for them to climb up? ;)

[​IMG]
    Sedum running wild ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I have no answers for you, but they sure look happy. I like the looks of that container too.

4. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I have lots of sedums. I just let them be - they form a nice ground cover in the garden. And in containers - they work as the 'fillers' and some 'spillers' too. They look lovely in containers when they fill up.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Cheryl, I found that container at a shop on one of our junque trips about 2 years ago, it has been the home of asst Sedum but these have definitely lasted longer and grown better than any others.

Tina, thanks for the info. I like the wild look but never having gotten any to this size I wasn't sure if they should be controlled.

They have really filled in since I got them. I think there is a Jewels of Opar in there I need to move before it gets too big. :rolleyes:

6. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Nice bonus! These plants might need a bit more light. Even the creeping types should have a generally upright appearance. Could you show a clearer pic of the suspected 'jewels?'