Astilbe or not?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Tina, May 12, 2012.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I bought a packet of 2 Astilbe bulbs last year. One of them was up all winter while the other died back and came back in February. The one that stayed through the winter is soooo tall and lanky. I am not sure if it is even a astilbe. Is it?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

[​IMG]

This is the other one which died back in the winter and came back in February.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Tina, I think you have a rose there, which does not look look a wild rose. The leaves are too large to for that. I think you might want to nurture it, myself to see if it stays a containable size. It could be the rootstock from a hybrid rose, too. In that case it may be just huge and lots of green growth on not much in the way of flowers,but that is not what it looks like to me, someone else may have a better idea than me, though. Did you have one there last year, by any chance? this is not the kind of root you could mistakenly plant in place of an astilbe.

The bottom one is astilbe.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I thought the same thing Carolyn ... it looks like a Rose.
    The bottom on is definitely an Astilbe.

5. Tina

Tina Young Pine

It definitely looks like a rose to me but I was stumped because I definitely planted it from the astilbe package. The problem is I don't or can't identify roots at all.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The astilbe would have been a fibrous clump with roots and a few stalks for the foliage that had been trimmed off. The rose would have been a cane with a knot where the graft was at, if it was a grafted rose. You would have definately seen a difference between the two when you planted them. Maybe you did and didn't realize what you were seeing, or perhaps there was a rose rootstock in the ground already in that spot. No idea on my part as to how it could have gotten there. But as I look at the picture what is the plant in the understory of the hosta? it looks as if there is something else growing next to the rose, too.

7. Tina

Tina Young Pine

under the hosta is the other astilbe.

8. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Second one just doesn't look like the Astilbe I have...