Autopsy in the woods: Arisaema triphyllum

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I had wanted one for years but there was always some excuse, after all it is not the only plant in the yard. In late August while I was walking in the woods, a red object caught my eye. If you routinely walk in wooded areas the predominant colors are green brown and grey. Red? A small detour had me standing over a fully exposed plant. As if some animal had dug the complete plant out of the ground, from seeds to corm sat a Arisaema triphyllum(Jack in the Pulpit).

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

The area of the woods fit the habitat for finding one. Nice!! I have it growing in my own woods. :) Were there any more? The short answer is I won't know till spring. An entry in my spring 'todo' list is to check for more. In the mean time I have this dried plant with corm and seeds. Seeds!!

[​IMG]

As for the corm,

[​IMG]

it sits in the refrigerator racking up its chill hours. In the spring the corm will be planted to the original depth as measured on the plant. I do however wonder about finding it fully exposed, just lying there. I know I have a midnight muncher that likes to dig up bulbs/corms etc. I also know that the plant is poisonous, perhaps the muncher had second thoughts? Anyway, I will plant the corm with a screen around it as a deterrent. How many more are there? The plant will grow up to two feet tall, something hard to miss if I am looking for it. I did find another berry cluster without the corm so there is at least one more. These are mature plants, maybe they have kids? :) They will have because I have two berry clusters also accumulating chill hours.:smt099 Now the woods are shrouded in a blanket of winter white so the only fun back there are animal tracks. Spring will get here, soon I hope.

Jerry

calinromania, Jewell and Donna S like this.
  2. Loading...