Avocado Tree

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by miles.o, Oct 10, 2011.

1. miles.o

miles.o New Seed

A couple years ago we chopped our avocado tree down in half. It wasn't producing very good avocadoes, and they were falling over our neighbor's lawn. We looked at it again just last week and it's growing again! I'll try to post a picture later.

I'm wondering how we can make our avocadoes better? Should I plant some flowers around it for better pollination? As you can tell, I'm pretty new at this. Thanks! :D

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I know nothing about avacado's other than I like them. But I do know that you will not get any better pollination by planting other flowers. You really need other avacado trees in order to draw a population of bees to the tree for better pollination. Bees only work one type of flower at a time. So if they are busy in the orchards where there is an abundance of same flowers, they will not be getting out to check out one tree in your neighborhood. You, also, may just have a lousy cultivar or "mutt" tree and in that case there is little/nothing you can do for your tree to make the fruit better. You could try fertilizing the tree, also.

4. miles.o

miles.o New Seed

Thanks,Carolyn. I will definitely keep this in mind. I may have to fertilize this coming summer... :)