Bamboo

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Anonymous, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My house backs up to a car dealer and I am looking for something to block out the view/sound/lights that would have to grow to at least 10-12ft. I have heard that bamboo can work very well but that it can also get out of control. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Dave and welcome to the Garden Stew forums :)

Just a thought but have you considered some kind of trellising with a heavy fast-growing plant on it? I do not know personally whether bamboo is a good option so lets see if anybody else has any ideas.

Welcome again!!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Dave I meant to get back to you sooner but I've been away on holiday. Sorry.

If you do decide on bamboo as a screen then please make sure that it's the clump forming type won't you? It stays nice and compact and does not have runners like some other bamboos. I have it in my garden and all I have to do with it is divide the clumps up when they get too bushy and transplant them.

Here's a suggestion you might want to think about too. Living willow screening. It can be cut back just like hedgeing and is very fast growing. Only problem with it is that it is deciduous and so doesn't look at its best during the winter months.

5. PeggySuetheStew

PeggySuetheStew Seedling

I've been tempted to experiment with bamboo also but have heard lots of horror stories