Basement color help...

Discussion in 'Choosing Colors' started by member4253, Jun 3, 2008.

1. member4253

member4253 New Seed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pretty much WHITE and WHITE.... the walls were badly damaged with holes and such. here is a befor picture to blow your mind away haha..

[​IMG]

well anyways.. i recently painted it blue semi gloss and it showed ALL the imperfections and closed the room in a bit. so i painted EVERYTHING primer white. then a Flat white, hoping to make the room bigger and brighter..

it sure did.. its too white now and i need help on what to color it. i have a pool table with a clothe that is gona be light green. and wood finish. also light blue grey carpeting. and NOTHING ELSE.

what ideahs do you have on painting the walls.? i dont want to paint all of the walls one color. i want to leave some white. but where should i paint? and what color?

hope for some responses

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well the rule of thumb is don't paint the wall with door in it and don't paint the one with a window. How about a pale blue/green colour which would tie in with both the carpet and the pool table? Either that or make one of the walls a rich cream. Matt paint is definately the way to go as gloss shows up too many inperfections. You can always add colour with things like curtains if you really want to keep the walls white.

4. tiono

tiono New Seed

maybe you could use a free 3D software like Google SketchUp to design your basement. You can use a free render like indigo as well to get a photo realistic end result :) I've used both to decide my home paint colour :)

My suggestion is to paint one of the wall without window and door with dark red or maroon red colour. It will combine very well with your pool table colour IMHO. But maybe you need to change your carpet to other color.

5. tiono

tiono New Seed

How bout like this?

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  6. member4253

member4253 New Seed

if i did that in the picture.. what about the big open wall.. would i paint that all red? of a horizontal half across the bottom?

7. tiono

tiono New Seed

the big open wall would be where your door is, i think better left it in white :) That is just some of my suggestion.

8. MindfulDesign

MindfulDesign New Seed

It looks like on that picture it implies some sort of a different material for the red lower part. Or it steps out a bit. Looks good though! ;-)

What do your carpet and your table look like? Can you take a picture? If you want to keep the blue carpet I'm not sure the combination with the red and green will work. Can you change the carpeting there to a different color?
    How about adding molding to the ceiling to make it look finished?

9. member4253

member4253 New Seed

the 3rd picture you can see the grey/blue carpet.. and the 4th picture you can see the pool table felt

10. egoreise

egoreise Seedling

Sinse the walls are damaged, I would consider doing something besides painting. I would recommend curtains. I wouldn't cover the whole wall, but I would do sections. It would take attention away from the wall damage (if it's still showing after you hang a curtain), and create the illusion that you aren't in a basement. And if you choose the right fabric, it can look very classy with your pool table. :)

11. leervh

leervh New Seed

Have you thought about stenciling on the walls. Could coverup the wall damage in a way you wouldn't really see it. Look for wall and floor stencils to do an all over pattern. You can do it in a variety of ways, like tone on tone. A spiral scroll or iron work pattern would probably look great. :)

12. egoreise

egoreise Seedling

Stenciling is a good idea, too! If you are indecisive or lazy about it (like me...), you could put up decals, instead. www.whatisblik.com