Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Pinkiered, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

When we first moved in, there were some really tall weeds in the back yard. Well, They are still there! HA! In the middle of all of it , is this purple and green.......thing....growing. Its about hip high now...about 3 to 31/2 foot I would guess. Its just as wide and is covered in these really nasty thorns. I have seen them everywhere and know most think of them as a weed. But I think its wonderful! I even feed it some Miracle Grow! :D Im thinking Im going to dig it up and move it to the front yard.

I think its a thysle..thissle....work with me here! HAHA! :p

My landlord wants it gone but I cant bear to cut it down! Its beautiful!

Anyone else out there thats taken to gardening weeds?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yes - ME!!! :D I actually grow a lot of wild flowers in my garden ie Tansy, ragged robin, field poppies, teasel, foxglove, mallows etc etc. They attract a variety of different insects which, in turn, attract various species of bird and/or small animals. I don't use any chemicals in my garden so a natural balance has established itself and my garden is now like a mini nature reserve.

Weeds are only plants growing in the wrong place after all aren't they?

If possible, could you show us a photograph of your thistley plant and maybe I could help you ID it?

4. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

I also grow wild flowers widow's tears,black-eyed susans,indian blankets,purple sage grass are just to name a few. They grow wild in the fields near our home and when the seeds blow over they come up in very unexpected place and I love it!!!!

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Is wildflowers just another name for weeds?

Dooley

Advertisement
  6. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Good to know! I dont feel so strange now! HA!

Yeah. As soon as my batteries are charged....or I should say as soon as I find the charger to charge my batteries for the camera, Ill take a pic and post it so you can help me ID it!

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yes Dooley lots of people call wildflowers weeds but without them we wouldn't have the diversity of wildlife we have in our open spaces. That's why I like to do my little bit by growing 'weeds' in my garden. Actually they're very pretty and visitors always ask what they are and where they can buy them!!!! :D

8. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

I ve designed and built 100 s of gardens over the years . Two I m particulary proud of , a cottage garden and a wildflower garden. The wildflower garden was built for a retired lady who was not able to do any heavy gardening ,she has a great love of songbirds , she wanted somewhere that her grandchildren could hide . She wanted to teach her grandchildren about nature . Lots of fruit , lots of flowers. A formal seating area ( she has a big extended family ). There were lots of other requests . My problem was the garden is only 50 feet by 25 feet . :idea: Organised chaos 8) I over planted the garden with birch . hawthorn ,mountain ash ,I screened off the bottom third of the garden with trellis and grew wild roses and honeysuckle .

Under the trees I sowed wildflowers , mostly self seeding types , behind the screen I built a small summer house , that catches the early morning sun ,
    ( she likes her morning coffee and her times crossword there ) I put in 20 bird feeders and a birdbath > Plus tons of other stuff .

The result :) A beautiful eco friendly garden with lots of flora and fauna . I do the maintenance
    1 hour in Spring and 2 hours in Autumn .

8) Bugs