Beginner question! Soil conditioning question...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by swmitra, Jul 19, 2010.

1. swmitra

swmitra New Seed

Hi, am quite a beginner at gardening. My gardening is mostly container gardening as I live in an apartment with a balcony.

My question is what are the various ways to improve the soil / feed the plants. I hear fertiliser, manure, organic fertiser, compost, liquid spray, peatmoss, etc.

Are these different or do they fulfil the same functions?

Specifically, what should I do for edible plants? I have mint, celery, chives growing, and I would not want to condition them with something that would not be good for ingestion.

Help!

Swapna

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Some of the ones you mentioned do the same thing. But for your purposes I would stay with a good compost and a manure or fish based fertilizer. You can also use Miracle-Gro or something similar for container gardening. Peat moss is not something I would use but many like it. It helps loosen a hard soil and helps with drainage for those with clay based gardens. It is a bit too acid for some soils. For your herbs most anything will work. Something I was told once was basically herbs are weeds,,treat them like one and they will grow anywhere. It seems to work for me.