Best time to thin my beautiful Iris'

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Katagram, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Katagram

Katagram New Seed

I have a very thick row of Purple Iris that produced well over 125 blooms this Spring. I want to thin them out, share some with a friend and move some to finish framing my water/rock garden. Can anyone tell me when the best time of year to do the thinning would be? I have heard everything from after the flowers are gone to when the leaves start to turn brown to late fall.
    I don't want to loose any of them as they were so beautiful this year! Anyone want to help with this one :?:

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I divide or transplant the Dutch and Siberian Iris after the leaves have begun to turn yellow or brown. Mine start putting out new leaves in late fall so I want to get the work done so they have plenty of time for their roots to settle in.

For the tall bearded Iris I wait until early-mid fall to divide or move.
    Count back 4-6 weeks from the average first day of frost in your area and get them done then. They should have plenty of time to get some root growth going before winter hits.

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I try to get mine moved July & August. I am in zone 6 and will start getting frost sometimes as early as September :eek: If a plant still has a pretty bloom of course I'll wait, but if the blossoms are long gone I figure they are fair game! I want to give them plenty of time to settle in before snow flies :p
    These are tall bearded iris I'm referring to ;)

5. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

They need at least 6 weeks after planting to get settled in before frost more time is better. I do all of my re planting in july just to be safe.

Advertisement
  6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

We also have had early frost past couple years. Had tarps covering things last fall. Got some pretty yellow and red iris. I want to move back. Planted them too close to front.

7. Katagram

Katagram New Seed

Thanks all for the suggestions! I am thinking very soon then. As being in Colorado we can get snow on the 4th of July LOL!

8. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Me too :rolleyes: People don't believe you when you tell them that but I know for a fact that it is true!!

9. Katagram

Katagram New Seed

Stratsmom...understands only too well. I remember living in Gunnison, elevation 7000 feet above sea level. July 4th... at the College football field watching the fireworks with coat, gloves, long underwear, and as the fireworks were falling from the sky, so we're the snow flakes. We ended up with 6 inches of snow that year. And it lasted 4 days too. Ah yes, memories :-D