Best way to start cuttings-Black &Blue Salvia?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Netty, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've managed to over winter a pot of Black & Blue Salvia but have been having trouble getting cuttings to survive. The first time I used peat pods and they damped off. The second time they just died. Does anyone have any tips?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Cuttings can be taken from either the new tips in the spring or the more hardened tips of late summer/early fall.

I guess the main question would be did you keep the cuttings warm? They should have heat from the bottom, you can use a heating pad or possibly a light bulb.

4. Netty

No Toni, I didn't give them any bottom heat. I'll start a few more and try that.
    Just wondering - it didn't seem to produce any seeds last year. Is Black & Blue something that is best started from cuttings?

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

From what I have read they don't reliably produce viable seeds so taking cuttings is the best and basically the only way to get more plants.

I was going to try that this spring but mine have spread out really well, guess I will be dividing them this fall from the looks of it.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

You are lucky that they overwinter outside for you Toni. They are my absolute favorite and impossible to find in garden centers here.
    Thanks for the help.

7. WTxDaddy

WTxDaddy In Flower

salvia

I have never tried to root a cutting of black & blue salvia, but it is intriguing. All I have came from nurseries & they are spreading. Now, I cut some spindly twigs off a corkscrew willow last Summer & stuck them in pots in the greenhouses & I now have 4 little corkscrew willows to find a place for.

Has anybody ever used a rooting hormone?

8. Netty

I use rooting hormone on any cuttings I try. Some plants seem to take off and others just die - the Black and Blue Salvia cuttings just don't want to work for me! I've had great success with other plants including Bougainvillea, Potato Bush, Fuschia, Burro's Tail, Ivy, and Geraniums.

9. woodlandfey

woodlandfey Seedling

I have used rooting hormone many times. Like Netty said some plants love it some just don't care. I think it's always worth a try tho!