Black substance on crape myrtles, how to get rid of?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Rosebud, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Rosebud

Rosebud New Seed

I have crape myrtles and they all have black substances all over them. Some say it's mold.It is also on some of my other plants.How do i get rid of it? I an afraid it might kill them. I really need help.

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Rosebud black sooty mold on plants is actually a sign of problems above and beyond just fungus. This black mold is formed when insects leave their waste product (called honeydew) on plants. The mold then forms on this substance. Insects that cause this problem include aphids and mealy bugs so treating sooty mold is not a matter of just removing the mold itself. For a long-term solution to this problem you must get rid of the insects that are at the root of your mold problem.
    You can dilute an insecticidal soap and then pour this solution into a clean garden sprayer. How much soap you will need depends on how many plants you have to treat. Go by the instructions of the soap manufacturer and you should be able to deal with the bugs that are causing this sooty mold problem you have.
    Good luck!! :-D

Oh - almost forgot. Wear gloves when spraying as you don't want any to get on your skin.

4. Rosebud

Rosebud New Seed

Eileen, I thank you for this information, I have lots of plants being affected by this problem.I'll spray as soon as it stops raining.Thanks again so much.