Blackbird's nest

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by gardenelf, Apr 22, 2012.

1. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Couldn't believe my eyes the other day, a blackbird was building it's nest right outside my window! I can see everything that happens there, but have to be ever so careful when I draw the curtains not to scare the bird.
    This photo is a bit blurred, couldn't get too close or she'd fly away.

[​IMG]
    Blackbird in nest ( photo / image / picture from gardenelf's Garden )

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Melody Mc.
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. KK Ng
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Let's hope the blackbirds stay around and raise a family. Isn't it great when wild creatures find our gardens a safe place to build their homes?

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I love to see it when widelife moves in near us humans, as long is it just "near" and not "in with"... :rolleyes:

Barb in Pa.

5. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Yes, Eileen, I do hope this little blackbird stays safe, because one of the neighbourhood cats likes to use the space under this particular bush as a toilet every now and then :-x . The only way to stop the cat from coming into the front garden would be building a wall or a fence around it. A bit drastic & would look rather odd...... :eek: ;)

Knowing what this cat might do, I did try to discourage this nest being built, by standing at the window a lot. But as you said, these birds are just too comfortable around us humans, so that didn't work.
    Anyway, for now all is well. The weather is cold and wet, so the cat stays indoors, where it's snug, dry & warm. :stew1:

Barb, I agree, outdoors they're fun to watch, but indoors.... Had that experience once with mice (see other posts). Not to mention all the creepy crawlies such as spiders, they are sooooo much more interesting outdoors!! :D

Advertisement
  6. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Update: Not long after posting the photo, I managed to spot 2 blue eggs in the nest. I waited until mum Blackbird was away, took a little stool, put it by the window and climbed on top so I could look right into the nest.

A few days ago, the nest stayed empty all day, and the next, and the next.....
    Took another look: no more eggs! Not a trace, no eggshells, nothing! Also no damage to the bush, no paw-prints in the soil (was very soft due to wet weather, so any cat would have left prints). No idea who or what took the eggs, but it was rather upsetting.

Here in The Netherlands our national Bird Protection Association (Vogelbescherming Nederland) has live webcams where you can see birds on their nests. This year this included a Black Bird's nest, and until yesterday there were 4 little chicks. Then a cat came and took them all, very sad indeed....
    Still worth a peek at the other nests, though, especially the Little Owl's nest. Very cute!
    (Not sure if I am allowed to place a link here)
    :stew2:

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear that your blackbird was scared off her nest. I think it was probably the cat that frightened her into leaving her eggs but a Magpie that ate them. At nesting time Magpies are on the lookout for not only eggs but young chicks to feed to their own youngsters.

By the way I've already posted a link to Barn,Tawny and Little Owl webcams. Here's where you'll find it.

http://www.gardenstew.com/about25414.html

The Barn owls now have six chicks, the Tawny has three and the Little owl is sitting on three eggs.

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I have had the same happen to Robin's nests. Eggs have disappeared, even chicks, after they have hatched. Our neighbor has two cats.....need I say more. :-(

Jerry

9. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Snakes will also prey on eggs and hatchlings, (and leave no tracks).. Do you have snakes where you are, Gardenelf?

10. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Thanks for your link, Eileen! Had a peek just at the Little Owl just now, looks like she's at the same stage as the one here in Holland.

Jerry, how sad the cat got the Robin's nest :'( . Do Robins go on to make another nest after something like this happens? Blackbirds usually do, so I've been told.

I'm sure it wasn't the cat that scared mother Blackbird off, because there would have been very clear paw-prints in the soil around the bush. Today it occurred to me it may have been the new kids in my street. Two small kids who shout very loudly and throw sticks around. :-x (lots of children about around here, but those two are (thankfully) the only badly behaved ones)

Eileen, Magpies hadn't yet crossed my mind, but there are lots of them around here. It would explain the eggs disappearing without a trace.

11. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

No, Henry, the few species of snake we do have here in The Netherlands are only found in our countryside. I live in a rather urban area, so no snakes here.
    :stew1:

12. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The Robins did make another nest higher up in a Taxus Capitata, the cats were not on the open house guest list.

Jerry

13. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Ah, that's good news! :-D

14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Sorry to read about your Blackbird and the eggs vanishing,..anything could have taken the eggs and the bird would not come back,..at least there were no feathers strewn about which might mean she went off to rebuild a nest and lay another set of eggs.

You might have being driven to despair watching for the eggs to hatch,..and then the chicks,..then watching and hoping the cat would keep away.

15. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Actually, Philip, I've been thinking just that same thing. Things would have been a lot worse if the poor little chicks (and possibly mum) had been mauled by the cat, right under my nose. :eek:
    All the while she was building her nest, I was secretly wishing she would abort the whole operation, as that laurel isn't quite the safest place to bring up chicks. Couldn't get myself to scare her away, though. Should I have, I wonder....

Comforting thought that she probably went on to make another nest elsewhere.
    :stew1:

16. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Can you imagine how often you would have headed over to the window were there chicks and a parent there,..i know i would be demented,..or got some chicken wire and made a cat barrier,..even so the tendency would still be for you to guard,..i can not imagine you trying to drive the parent from the nest,..even before eggs were there,..that would be very difficult to do,..instinct wise.