BLUE CARPET!!! help! (pics)

Discussion in 'Choosing Colors' started by bennnyq, Mar 28, 2009.

1. bennnyq

bennnyq New Seed

Need some help with interior design/decoration. Unfortulately I am stuck with dark blue carpets and I am findign it hard to see what will match, and what wont.

I am trying to go for a contemporary look, with dark wooden furniture. Also considering repainting the wall to a grey-like shade.

Any advice?

[​IMG]
    Living room - carpet ( photo / image / picture from bennnyq's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Do you like the blue carpet or would you be trying to hide it?
    I like the idea of painting the walls gray, but don't go too light if you don't want the carpet to stand out. Personally, I would paint the base boards the same color as the wall, that way they blend together and the carpet would almost disappear to the eye.

The carpet appears to be a mottled design (splotches of different shades of color), you might pickup several color cards of grays from the paint store, compare them to the colors in the carpet to find one that picks up the lighter color in the carpet.

By dark wood furniture, are you going with black or a dark cherry? With black you could have accents in blues, silver/gray with a splash of red. With the dark cherry the accents could be deep reds, blues and gray.

If you want to hide it completely, that would require a room size rug in a neutral color to cover it...but then you could go with any color you wanted in there.

4. jde

jde New Seed

Dark wooden furniture is a good idea i think, also do not make the walls too dark as it will make the room feel very small, some accents in white would look good to that base colour.

5. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Found this pic.on the web..

This is a living room but oh so pretty...
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
  6. bennnyq

bennnyq New Seed

Wow, great advice. The carpet isnt "splotchy" its just the different shades from object that have run over it, causing different areas to puff up (hard to explain). I'll definatelty look for a light match to the carpet to paint the walls to offset.

In terms of furniture I was looking into very dark/black wood, which will hopefully make a nice contrast with any brighter items that may be on/near it.

I definately do not want to hide it as it is brand new (though not my decision) and feels very nice on bare feet, thanks for the ideas - sounds like a great start.

7. Eric Dyer

Eric Dyer New Seed

I really like the idea of using grey for the walls. I think a light grey would not darken the room too much but still go well with the carpet!