Bonus Bushels of Greenbeans

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by carolyn, Aug 26, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Anyone leave their rows of beans in the garden after the "final" picking? We did this year because we just didn't have time to do anything with them. They flowered again and I have picked 3 bushels of greenbeans from the original plantings. I still have 4 new rows that haven't even flowered yet. what a bonus for the cost of the seeds.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. carolyn
      Replies:
      Views:

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That is quite interesting. I am so sorry that you have not had time to clear out, what you thought, was something that was done. I think you are the most overworked woman in the Summer.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, It was a bonus for me...not a burden, although there is much to be done. I did pick 6 pints of raspberries and mowed the grass after I took my FIL to the doctor this morning, too. found that the (I think) reason I can't grow cucumbers is that the backs of all the leaves were covered in aphids today...ewww yuck!. I was just looking at the patch stumped as to why they were so pathetic when I noticed the black plastic looked wet underneath the plants...Wet? I touched it and it was STICKY! eww, yuck! here all the leaf backs were covered and all the white debris all over the plastic wasn't the alyssum I had planted there, it was the shedding aphid skins! So pulled the hose down to the garden and washed all the leaves off. At least the weather was beautiful today. that was a blessing, too. Not too humid and sticky.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have never done it for the purpose of harvesting a second time. I have noticed that they bloom again though. Our weather is such that they would never reach maturity however.
    Boy, oh boy...extra beans--what a luxury.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh yes, I have come to count on that late harvest of beans! I've never heard of aphids on cucumbers ... sounds gross! LOL

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

S, That's is too bad. Your growing window must be much shorter than mine. We start planting in May and are still harvesting in October as long as it doesn't frost too early.

Netty, I had never seen aphids on the cuke leaves before, either and they were tiny. I know my eyes are changing because they were too hard to focus on like I normally see aphids, but there were much smaller than normal.

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I thought is normal to have 2 harvest for beans. I always had 2 harvest before I remove the plants. This time after the first harvest, the plant is struggling to get on to the second round.

Aphids on cuke, that is a new one for me too!

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya C--Yes, our season is quite a bit shorter than yours. We plant in may but by september it is all over. Ach wel, that's the way it goes.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

KK, We normally pick about 3 nice pickings from a planting of bush beans. These were left in the garden and they kept growing and flowering. We left them not because we were expecting them to do anything, but because we just we didn't have the time to pull them and till and replant something in the same spot. It worked well for us.

S, that doesn't seem much shorter but it could be much cooler on average daily temperature than we have, too. Although this July was the coldest on record, I think. It was cold. Yesterday was very warm, maybe about the warmest all Summer at 87f/ 30.55 c. It was sweltering. One of the best pool days here and the kids are all back in school so I guess it was just adults who got to enjoy the water.