Bought my first petunia plant!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by oubee, Jul 7, 2012.

1. oubee

oubee In Flower

Bought it today itself for R 125 (Mauritian rupees). It's got a lovely shade and the white rim and yet to bud flowers urged me to select it from the lot. Now am wondering whether it was a good bargain. Please pour in tips and special trade secrets so that I can care for it the best I can!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from oubee's Garden )

[​IMG]
    I also bought 2 seed packets of Petunia mix (again) & snapdragon half dwarf (love those!).

[​IMG]

Anyone ever had luck with these brand of seeds?

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

The best pieces of advice I can give you for that sort of Petunia is to make sure you deadhead, and to let it dry out between waterings.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your 125 Rupees is $4.04 U.S and $4.20 Canadian and that's about what I pay here.. the ones I bought in the spring were about $3.50 for that size plant.
    I found the neatest currency converter just now... http://coinmill.com/MUR_calculator.html#MUR=125

I have never seen that brand of seeds over here. But with any brand you never know until you plant them. Hope they grow well for you.

5. oubee

oubee In Flower

Noted Netty! Thank you :)

Am new to packet seeds too, Toni. Most of the plant I grew were from either cuttings or I got them from someone. Am hopeful some of these will sprout :)

Advertisement
  6. ToadinNH

ToadinNH New Seed

Very pretty! I love the varities with different colored edges.

Like Netty said: don't over-water and lots of deadheading. And you can't just pull the flowers off (that's a mistake I made when I got my first petunias many years ago) - you need to pinch/cut back the little stem that the flower grew on.
    I spend at least an hour a day deadheading my petunias. When a flower starts looking droopy I pinch it off.

Good luck! I'm sure it will look spectacular along with your seeds (snapdragons are a fav of mine - just not enough sun where my place is)

7. oubee

oubee In Flower

An hour a day! You must be having lots of them? Can I have a picture of your petunias? Thanks for the tips :)

8. ToadinNH

ToadinNH New Seed

LOL - I do have lots. Some are in combo baskets, but my my favorite is a beautiful pink/purpleish plant that just won't quit. I thought there were a few times where it was a gonner after a couple torrential downpours literally creamed it....but I just pinched it back and it came back with a vengeance. :D

I will post some pics as soon as I can figure out how to get them from my new camera to my ancient computer...lol

9. oubee

oubee In Flower

Hehe, looking forward to seeing your plants soon! Few more buds opened up:

[​IMG]

Frank and carolyn like this.
  10. oubee

oubee In Flower

The petunias and snapdragons plantings are such a delight to behold! The corianders are up too and I'm expecting a 100 per cent success rate with the latter. The only problem is that I might fall short of containers :S