Bought my first rose plants!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by oubee, Oct 26, 2012.

1. oubee

oubee In Flower

Well, those were presents rather for am not into roses really :D Pour in any tips. So far, the 3 buds that were on the plants have blossomed and despite my initial reluctance, I developed a soft spot for them. Not they are cut and the plant looks pretty morose. How to get them to bud more now? I've buried lots of banana peels around them and they seem far from ever budding again!

2. Loading...

3. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Well roses are no non-stop bloomers.
    I also love them when in bloom, but out-of-bloom there's nothing to them!
    I really have no idea what you could do...

Do roses do well in your country???

4. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

The only thing I know about roses is that when you cut the flowers off it releases a chemical which triggers more flowers-so in theory your bush should start again soon. I would imagine that feeding them will help too-with a specific rose food.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Different rose varieties bloom differently. Some bloom once a year, some bloom spring and fall, and others bloom more frequently. If you can tell us the name of the roses perhaps we can tell you more about them.
    Cutting off the spent blooms is a really good idea. Some roses develop "hips" which are seed pods from the base of the spent bloom. This takes strength away that could be put into new growth and new buds.
    Roses are best fertilized early spring (just when the new leaves appear)and after a blooming flush. A balanced fertilizer is best--just don't use one that is high in nitrogen since that encourages leaf growth, not blooming.
    Enjoy your roses--they are a wonderful flower!