Bought some vines today!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by dooley, Mar 11, 2011.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We had to go to the pharmacy today. On the way inside we passed some bushes, shrubs and vines for sale, three for ten dollars. I wonder what is the difference between a bush and a shrub. I know about vines. I bought three of them. I found one Confederate Jasmine. I haven't had one but I do like Jasmine. It's a single stalk about four or five foot in height. I hope it branches out after I plant it. Then, I found two purple leaf honeysuckle. They grow twenty feet across and 15 to 20 feet high. I'm going to put the honeysuckle on the fence in the front between our house and the owner's house. The jasmine I'm going to put in the back on the same fence line between the house and the climbing rose bushes. The whole fence line will then have either vines or climbing roses on them. The roses were planted last spring and didn't grow much last year but they are doing very well this spring. I will feed them again this weekend. They are red blaze climbers. The little dogwood trees and the little plum trees are getting little green leaves and shoots and the four lilac bushes have little green leaves. One of them seems to be growing faster than the other.
    The man delivered the pieces that we want to use for building the deck so maybe that project will go forth before the end of the month. We will be keeping busy now.
    dooley

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

All those vines will look gorgeous when in full bloom and the Jasmine should have a good fragrance.

Basically shrub and bush are the same thing but over the years bush has come to refer to shorter multi-stemmed plants and shrub refers to taller ones.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Things are coming along there quite well, aren't they. You will have a gigantic lovely honeysuckle mass eventually. Mmmmm.
    ...and I know that you just can't wait until that deck has been built.
    I find all that yoiu are doing very interesting and hope that you will be able to send some foto's one day.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Sounds like its going to be wonderful... especially with a deck. I planted some Confederate Star Jasmine along my "ugly" fence. And I have a Pink Jasmine on my "new" fence. Can't wait until they bloom.
    Don't forget to post photos of your progress Dooley!

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Sounds like a lot of work Dooley and it undoubtedly will look fantastic. I'm looking forward to see pictures from your efforts.

Jerry

7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Dooley, Sounds like you're having a great time planting new things in your new place. You are also quite the bargain plant shopper!