Break time! The birds are mad at me.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by dooley, Apr 8, 2013.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I spent two hours in the front yard this morning. I dug up two round flower beds and planted 24 petunia plants. I cut all the devil's whip coming up all over the yard and cut some scrubby brush. I pulled a few weeds and cut some thistles. Still lots to be done. The first thing I did was fill the bird feeders. The second thing was dig up and plant the flower bed next to the bird feeder. I walked all over the yard and finally the birds yelled, "Enough, we want to eat." I told them go ahead. I wasn't stopping them but they just sat up in that tree yelling at me. So, I decided it was break time.

dooley

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Impatient little devils aren't they? They don't seem to connect the person that fills the feeders as being the same one that works in the garden. If they did they'd know they could feed in peace and wouldn't come to any harm. Definitely bird brained. :D

4. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

I'm always amazed at the speed that news travels when the feeders are being filled.No birds and then they're all queuing on the tv aerials and waiting for me to go for a break as well. :)

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hummingbirds seem to be best at ignoring humans. I can be weeding, dead heading, or just messing about near the feeders, and the hummers don't take any notice.
    How bad is it when you are beneath the notice of a bird?

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I have noticed that Chickadees do not wait for the feeder to be completely filled they will grab a seed while the feeder is on the ground or from my hand. Patients is not their strong suit. Goldfinches on the other hand will fly away at the slightest movement.

Jerry

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm glad you understood what the birds wanted you to do. :D

We've got a robin that follows the mower. I guess we whirl up insects that are easy to catch. We sometimes worry about the silly bird since it's a bit slow to get out of the way when we turn the mower around. :rolleyes: