Bringing along a pet

Discussion in 'Pets' started by marlingardener, May 19, 2013.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Is it becoming common to bring along your pet while visiting? I have a neighbor with two Yorkshire Terriers. She stops by to visit, and wants to bring her dogs in with her.
    Also, people take dogs on vacation with them. Not to a cabin in the woods, but to a "dog friendly" hotel, then to the beach (with no pooper scooper) and to some restaurants. Is this good for the dog? Does the dog enjoy the "vacation"?
    We always had a trusted kennel (that we inspected beforehand) to care for our pets while we were gone.
    Is this yet one more trend I've missed?

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't agree to having a dog in an hotel or a restaurant as they can't settle the same as they can at home or in a, well run, kennels. Also many people don't like others pets around while they are eating. I detest going to a beach and finding dog poo everywhere. It's a real health risk to chidren who want to play on the sand and unpleasant if you stand in it.
    However pet friendly holidays are a good idea if you are renting a cabin or a self catering house where you are the only occupants. As long as you scoop while you are there and don't leave a mess behind your pet.
    I, like you, always took our dogs to a kennel where we knew they would be well taken care of and never had any problems. We were allowed to take their own beds and toys along with them so that they felt more at home. If any health issues arose while we were gone then they would call the vet to deal with it instead of leaving it until our return. Old Blue, our Labrador, loved to see Cathy and her staff every year and looked in great condition we returned to pick him up.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Fur babies are part of society now :-D. Many places allow pets (but not children?) at work. It is also very uncool not to pooper scoop. :rolleyes:

You can take a second vacation with the price of kenneling two dogs for vacation, but on longer trips it is necessary. Shorter flights small dog carriers go under the seat as a carry on.

Have friends that use doggy day care, and check online to see how they are doing. Guess you can do this for children too.

One look out my window and see people walking dogs, more than being out with children. We are a pretty wealthy society that truly indulges. ;)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I think it's rude for someone to bring their dog to your house while they are visiting... especially if you have a dog who is possessive and jealous... like mine. She gets along with other animals "on her own" but when they invade her space, she just gets so upset.
    We do take her to the beach with us, but her pooping is not a problem since she won't go where anyone can see her.
    And we have taken her camping with us. But to take her on a "real" vacation or to a restaurant? Never.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

I wouldn't dream of taking my 2 on a visit to anyone else's house with out a specific invitation :eek: and as much as I love them to bits they also go into kennels while we have holidays and never have any qualms about going off with the staff there.Yes,quite pricey,but a small price to know that they are safe and being well cared for and we get FANTASTIC welcomes when we pick them up :D

Please don't get me started on the idiots who don't pick up the poop :scheming:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have 2 little girls totaling 8 pounds. They use a wee wee pad and are very quiet.

[​IMG]
    Willow and Wisteria

[​IMG]
    wee wee pad

I would never take my girls to someones house nor would I put them on the ground at a place where other animals were. If they go out in our yard, they get a little bug spray plus their regular thingie on their collar every month. They also get their baths when they come in from being outside. They travel with us in their screened room that we put in the whole back seat and they love it in the convertible.

As far as motels barefoot? I wouldn't walk on a motel floor. How could I let my dogs do that?

My girls are very well behaved but I do agree with everyone that animals should be welcomed before you barge in. I know I am a bit unusual but I have always believed that you take responsibility for things you own. None of my previous dogs went out of my yard if they were to do their business outside. I never took my eyes off them and went out there with them. I also picked up the droppings right away.

The way I have trained my dogs and how I make them behave is a very cute thing. People comment all the time. It's too bad it's "cute" and not the norm....

And then there are people who bring their dogs to my house. OH YUK!!! I don't link it. My neighbor used to bring her dog over here so he could do his big business at my house. MORE YUK! I began to go get a paper towel and plastic bag, saying, "Oh I'll get that for you" and putting it in my garbage. Now the dog goes before they visit my house. I think they were shocked that anyone would go pick that stuff up and embarrassed too. :p

Ya wanna see something cute. My dogs, if they were outside for 30 minutes or so, when I open the door, they room in and hurry and go wee wee on the pad. You would have thought I didn't let them go for 8 hours. After that they come and sit in front of me so I can check for ticks and other bugs.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Two friends would arrive at my house with dogs in tow and think nothing of the dogs being off the lead,..one of them would smile when his dog started making shapes at my cats and saying my dog doesn't like cats,..now of course they keep the dogs in the car when visiting or don't bring the dogs at all,..it did take a few stern hints from me of course.

My first encounter with dogs in a hotel was a Ramada Hotel in the USA,..and while it might be convenient to take your dog with you,..and certainly a lot cheaper than some Kennels,..i did wonder if the room i occupied had being disinfected if previously occupied by a pet and how well house trained was the pet,..even allowing for accidents.