Brrrrr! :(

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Nashville weather this morning. Pay particular attention to the "feels like 5 degrees" note. And I'm supposed to go out running in this? :( Uh-uh. No thanks! Grateful I have a gym membership on mornings like this!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Ronni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

It was -29.8°C (-21.64°F) on my thermometer this morning. I'll trade with you any time Ronni!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It is 0f here.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Ronni, we could send you some snow. :) Netty, you should be hibernating with those temperatures. DARN!! My kkkkeys are fffffrosted up just responding to this ppppost. Where are my ggggloves…..? :)

JJJJJJerry

Cayuga Morning and Maypop like this.

Advertisement
  6. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Our forecast right now reads 15º Feels like 4º o_O Sunny though, so its not that bad. Wish I didnt have to work tonight, I wanna just curl up under the blankets :)

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ronni, You are not well enough to go out running anyway. So this weather was sent especially to keep you in.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We're above freezing, and no frost predicted before next week-end. And this is Norway! Stay warm and safe all of you.

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We're still having gales and heavy rain here. I think I'd rather have some snow as it would warm things up. 6 degrees but with the wind chill it feel like it's below freezing. Thank goodness for central heating!!

10. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

I certainly rather have your weather,Ronni. It is -30 here with a wind chill of -45. Everything is still iced over from the ice storm 2 weeks ago. A lot of the trees have had their branches sheared right off. Not a pretty sight.

11. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Yes, Mother.

:smt049

carolyn likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow Chrisle, that is COLD!!!

13. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Well, it's going to get worse apparently. :( Nashville is very unused to such cold temps. With the windchill, it's going to feel like the negative teens. Plus, that same local weather station has predicted up to 2 inches of snow Monday. I'm considering staying home from work. Nashville drivers, not used to snowy and icy driving conditions, are a worse danger than the inclement weather!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Ronni's Garden )

carolyn likes this.
  14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ronni, YOu are correct. If you or they aren't used to this kind of road conditions...stay home. IT is much safer at the end of the day. I took one of my boys to the Cleveland airport on Thursday...what a nightmare. I was driving on two black stripes on I-71 for most of the way there and back, none of the ramps were clean,there were drifts on the east west roads...ugly. but I was impressed that most of the drivers were careful and cautious.

15. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Our news broadcasts have shown the horrible winter weather on the east coast of the US, and I so feel for all those affected. :( Do take care Ronni, it's better to be safe than sorry.

16. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks Carolyn and Droopy.

I really don't like driving in snow and ice. :( Completely apart from the other stupid drivers who make driving even more dangerous, I am not an experienced driver in those conditions. I know the basics, like what to do in a slide on slick ice, how to drive as safely as possible in snow, those kinds of things. But it's white knuckled driving for me, I am tense and hyper-vigilant and it takes so much energy to drive in those conditions.

One time I was caught on the road in a completely unpredicted snow storm. It took the entirety of Nashville by surprise! What was normally a 20 minute commute for me, took over 4 hours! It was just horrid and scared me badly! White knuckled driving every minute, made worse by a car that wasn't in the best shape, had faulty heating and worn tires. I was physically and emotionally exhausted by the time I got home…..well, I never even actually made it home with the car. I got onto my street, which had a slight incline to get to my house. The car got half way up the street and slid sideways and wouldn't go any further. Didn't matter, half the cars on the street were randomly all over the place, it was that bad! So I left it right where it was, locked it up and walked the rest of the way home with snow up to my knees! That had never happened to me before, or since, and was a very unusual situation for Nashville.

Anyway, that incident seems to have scarred me permanently! ;) Every time there's bad weather predicted, I tend to think back to that situation, and take whatever steps necessary to ensure I don't repeat that scenario….ever!!

Droopy and carolyn like this.