bulbs bought at discount

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by daisybeans, May 5, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hey everyone! If I were to buy a bunch of bulbs at a discount now, would I want to store them in a particular way and plant in the Fall, or plant now for some reason? (Someone's blog gave me a good idea! Thanks SmilesforSunshine!)

Thanks, all.

2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    You didn't say what kind of bulbs, but I would think you would want to plant them right away.

Summer bloomers should be fine since we can't plant many out here in the PNW yet...still a chance of frost. Just have to make sure they are not dried out and dead. The fall planted bulbs like narcissus (daffodils) are pretty much finished blooming and are beginning to make the flowers for next year, but I have had a bulb dropped under the eave of the house on the pavement and that went unnoticed and it still try to grow into the summer.

Gardening is always an experiment in patience and nature. Never hurts to try something new. Have fun!

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I kind of think I'd plant them so they don't dry out :)

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I would go ahead and plant them now, they can put out leaves and start gathering energy for next years blooms if they don't bloom this year.

If you are not yet sure where in the garden you want them, pot them up for now. You can always transplant them this fall to a permanent spot.