Cagebirds (indoors).

Discussion in 'Bird' started by devonpete, Jan 6, 2008.

1. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

I'm thinking of getting a couple of cagebirds, but can't make up my mind whether to go for budgies, canaries or finches. When I see them at the shop they're usually withdrawn. To anyone who knows, which are likely to be the most chirpiest once you get them home?

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Canaries are, I think, the best caged bird to have as a pet Pete. They are much hardier than budgies and suffer less from stress. They also sing quite sweetly compared to budgies. Finches I would leave alone because they should have been left in the wild not captured and bred from for the pet trade. They suffer badly from stress and they can have generic problems such as malformed bills and feet.

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I have had parakeets and canaries and liked both but the parakeets were easier to train. Like sitting on your shoulder while inside, sometimes talking. My son had cockatiels which he trained to talk and ride around with him. One he could even take outside. They do need a larger cage though. Canaries do sing prettier though. dooley

4. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

OK, many thanks to both of you. Canaries do appeal to me, I have to say. I did a little info digging yesterday, and it appears that they prefer to be in pairs or more, and are better for daily exercise out of the cage. Not as 'perchable on your finger' as budgies.
    The best place for a cage here, where space is concerned, is in the conservatory, but that can get cold at night. I'll have to think about this a little more.

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Pete if it's any help canaries/budgies/finches/parakeets are all kept outdoors around here at a tiny zoo just a few miles away from our village. As long as they have somewhere to huddle when it's cold then they do very well. You can buy small woven basket type affairs that are either used for nesting or roosting out of any major pet store.

6. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

Thanks Eileen (by the way, only kidding about the video - nobody's ever called my antics sexy before :( ) - irritating, yes :D .)
    The more I think about a pair of canaries to add a bit of life here, the more the idea appeals to me. I think I shall make a point of visiting the pet shop in Barnstaple on Thursday.
    My brother has an aviary in the garden, but he keeps budgerigar looking birds (not budgies, but 'rosier' in colouring).

7. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I had finches before and they seemed hyperactive and made a huge seed mess all the time. I've had budgies and they were very lovable and talked. I guess it depends on how much time YOU want to spend with them also. A single bird makes a better pet because they are more focused on you. I have always had a bird or two and they do liven up the place.

8. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

Some birds like budgies need to be in a social situation. Do much better health wise. Yes be prepared for a huge seed mess, all the time. Do some research on whichever type you decide on. (google)

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

We have friends that had a parakeet and he was so smart and could do silly things..my husband had one growing up and he always sat on their shoulder and when they did the dishes, he would peck at the bubbles..