Calendula seed saving?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Pricklypear, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I have some calendula growing in semi-shade. The plants are suffering in our 111 degree heat. I'm thinking about taking them out because they are looking pretty scraggly.

I've snipped off a few spent flowers leaving a bit of a stem on each one. The seeds are green. I'm going to try drying them upside down in my shed, just like I do herbs.

Anyone tried this method? Or must I leave the flower heads alone on the plant until they dry out.

Our rainy season is starting now. So these plants are going to get wet.

2. Loading...

3. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

i'd take them off if its going to rain alot. my calendula are suffering at the moment, the foliage is going a rusty brown colour? :-? have you tried eating the petals? there very edible and make your salad look a bit brighter :-D

4. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

Thanks. I snipped the plants and hung them in my cupboard to dry out. We'll see if the seeds were mature enough when they dry out. I'm thinking of doing a small test in a peat pellet as soon as they are dry.

I haven't used the leaves in salads. But then right now they look pretty terrible. We had a really heavy rain and wind the last two afternoons. The poor calendula got beat up pretty bad. But you should see my tomatoes and squash. They are happy plants.