Calla Lilies not sprouting

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by gardennut, Feb 10, 2014.

1. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

My sweet hubby got me some yellow calla lilies last summer, they were beautiful and then they went dormant. I put them in dark and cool for about two months and brought them back out into the living room and started watering them when they felt dry, I am worried about them, they have not shown one tiny sprout, when I planted them, I felt them and they were not mushy or rotten or anything like that but they have not done anything and they have been planted in a pot since last month. Could you tell me if it is just a waste of time to try to regrow them, or is it worth the effort? :-?

2. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

I think you just got started a bit early. Still firm sounds like the bulbs are fine, just not ready yet, it's not even spring, let alone summer. I'm right there with ya' on being anxious for warm weather to come back. What you described is a common, general practice for those where it's too cold for these to survive outside, though there are never any guarantees, and "dark and cool" isn't a hard fact to use. If it didn't usually work, it wouldn't be so common. It's hard to be patient though, isn't it?

3. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

Being patient when it comes to flowers is not one of my better traits!

4. purpleinopp

Me either! Maybe you need another plant for 'wow right now?' Do you have any other plants? It's dangerous coming to garden forums, if either space or $ aren't in abundance! This very impatience about flowers is why house plants with pretty leaves are so popular, though many do make flowers periodically.

I think this one has both, pretty leaves and 'tis the season for its' pretty flowers. The pink flowers at the bottom are wax Begonias, also blooming now though these little things are just cuttings taken recently from a larger plant.

[​IMG]
    Kalanchoe blossfeldiana ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'm quilty of being inpatient also. I agree with Purple... just give them some more time.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have found callas to be very difficult to get started. First make sure your corms/bulbs are not wrinkly dry (if they are wrinkly and dry looking they are probably not going to grow). They are a plump looking bulb and should be a creamy yellow color you may just need warmer soil and longer day light length to get them started. Where are they sitting as you wait on them to start? Maybe move them to the top of the refrigerator or a warm spot that will keep the soil warmer.

purpleinopp likes this.
  7. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

The top of the fridge is not a warm place in our house, there is no heat in the kitchen so it is pretty cool in there, I put the flourescent lamp a little closer to the plants so maybe that will help it out. The temperature at my desk is 70 degrees.

purpleinopp likes this.
  8. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

I moved the lamp so it would be closer to the pot where the lilies are, I also smelled it and it does not smell like it is rotten, so just got to have more patience, if anyone knows where to get some more patience let me know, I will go there and get some more!

purpleinopp likes this.
  9. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

I can truly say that I learn from my mistakes, I was worried about the calla lilies and found out that number one mistake, planted them too deep, mistake number two, watered too much, they are not rotted and there are a couple of very tiny sprouts on them, I found a web page that said the tops need to be exposed so I took some of the potting soil off and found the sprouts. I have the lamp about 4 inches from the bulbs and I will mist them when they look dry, right now they do not need any more water, at least I caught it before they rotted. As someone once told me, with gardening especially inside, it is easy to make mistakes, and I am the first one to say I have made several in my experiences. But I am so glad that I found this web site, you folks are so nice and helpful. Will take a picture when they pop up more.

purpleinopp likes this.
  10. cherylad

Glad they are showing signs of life. Don't worry about mistakes... we all make them. Just consider them a learning lesson. Looking forward to seeing their lovely blooms. Now... where was it you found some patience for sale? I'm due for a refill. :stew2:

purpleinopp likes this.
  11. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

Cala Lilies

It is supposed to be warmer and sunnier today so I put the cala lilies in the picture window, the sun is coming through there real nice today. I will move it back to the bookcase tonight though, don't want it to get too cold.

purpleinopp likes this.
  12. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

Thank you purpleinopp.

13. purpleinopp

I'm sooo anxious for warmer weather too! Just hearing about a pot of bulbs putting up some foliage is exciting.

14. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

yellow callas

Well, here it is March and no sprouts yet, one page says cover the tops and one says leave the tops exposed! I may have to admit defeat on these although I HATE to do that, especially with flowers! :( They don't smell like they are rotten, but just no leaves poking up, they are just sitting there. My Amaryllis leaves are turning yellow and dying, I don't know what is going on. Help! When I planted the callas I used soil that was already used, do you thing if I got new soil it would help or should I just give up?

15. cherylad

I still say just give them time. Don't give up yet!