Calla Lily Help Needed, amount of sun? Update- a bloom

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Jun 20, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Last year, one of my Aunts gave me a small clump of Calla Lily to add to my flower beds. It didn't survive because I put it where another plant totally overgrew/shadowed it. So, she let me come back this spring and dig up a bit more. I made sure to put it where it'd get more sunlight. This time... I'm afraid I put it where it gets TOO MUCH sun!
    It's pretty much in dappled shade... except from around 1-5pm... the hottest part of the day! And I have been keeping it watered...hoping and trying not to overwater in the meantime.
    Poor thing has been putting on new leaves, but they aren't lasting more than a week or so.

[​IMG]
    calla lily - distressed ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Hubby said for me to transplant it... but I'm scared that I'd just totally send it into shock and kill it.
    So... I thought the best thing for me to do is to try to keep it alive where it is until Fall when, hopefully, it'll be better conditions for transplanting.
    My solution... give it some more shade... and quick!

[​IMG]
    calla lily_relief? ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

It's definitely not anything of beauty. But with our super hot temps lately, I'm hoping I can save it.
    Was this a good move or not? Anything else I could try?

2. Loading...

3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Would a drip hose or some kind of irrigation help it out ? I hope it grows better. I have an arum that my horse ate, and it doesnt have any leaves at the moment. I hope it recovers also.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I bought some callas and the planting/care instructions say MORNING sun only. You are right in giving it more shade. I also would be hesitant to move it after it started growing, but it may be the only way to save it. water it well and use a spade/shovel to dig the whole way around it before trying to pick it up out of that spot. "think tree spade" in the angle of the blade so you cut the roots cleanly all the way around before lifting it. set it in it's new home and water well. Have the new hole ready first. good luck I hope you can save it. they are such pretty plants.

5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have to plant mine in containers or dig them up every fall. I keep mine in full sun in Wisconsin and I always have so I guess it depends how hot you get..

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

Well... I moved the Calla under the Sassafras tree a couple months ago after protecting it in a container all winter. It bloomed early while still in the pot... but today... a bloom! I'm so excited that it is liking it's new home (so far).

[​IMG]
    Calla ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

7. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I totally agree with Cheryl...Callas like more shade than sun. My boss didn't listen to me and his cooked also..it keeps trying to come up in the late winter early early spring because its cooler then. But now i don't see it anymore. The late spring/summers are treacherous here and sometimes you can't tell anybody anything cuz they know it all...lol. You just have to teach'em!!! I think though after 2 years of it struggling, I'm going to dig it up, pot it and take care of it for a while in the back. Good Luck with yours as well.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh yes, it sure looks happy in it's new home! Very pretty!

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh, that is a beauty, Cheryl! Very nice.

10. CatieBug

CatieBug New Seed

I attempted a calla lily last year, didn't go over so well...I don't think our ground was warm enough when I planted it.

11. cherylad

Thanks everyone. I sure enjoy seeing that pretty white bloom.
    I've been noticing new babies where it used to be planted... in the sunnier spot. I was thinking of leaving one there and either transplanting the others or give them away. Who knows... maybe it wasn't the amount of sun... but maybe because it was too young?
    I also have some store-bought ones... still waiting on them to bloom. I'm sure I'm going to be happy with them... but this one is special since it came from one of my aunts. :stew2:

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Cherylad--Congrats! It is lovely! I had to smile at your emergency shade-creator! I have used beach umbrellas for the same reason.