Can anyone Help ID these Hosta Varieties

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by sensibullmastiffs, Jul 26, 2009.

1. sensibullmastiffs

sensibullmastiffs New Seed

I acquired some free divisions and not quite sure what they are, was hoping someone here might be able to ID them.

This gal is looking a little unhappy right now....I just put her in a pot until I can find a place to plant her.
    [​IMG]

This photo shows the leaf size from the above plant! HUGE
    [​IMG]

I have a variety called "Janet" in my garden and this one is very similar, but the colours are not as vibrant in this one.
    [​IMG]

This plant has thicker greenish/blue leaves edged in a goldy/creamy colour and white flowers
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have the same problem as you do...most of my Hosta's were free divisions with no names. Droopy is the Hosta expert here so until she gets here this site might be of help to you:
    http://myhostas.net/

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Netty. *bowing* I can't take these hostas by appearance, but I'll do some research. Those big, shiny leaves are really striking. :D Hostas with golden margins and green leaves are very difficult to ID. Are the plants wet, or are they so shiny all the time?

5. Droopy

Ok, I've been looking in my books and I think the top one is a Hosta ventricosa. It's got big, shiny, heart-shaped leaves and is a vigorous grower.

The bottom one looks a bit like the H. ventricosa, so it could be a H. v. "Aureomarginata" but don't take my word for it.

How big is that middle one when mature, do you know?

Advertisement
  6. sensibullmastiffs

Thanks for that info Droopy...I will dig into and look into those names a little further...I was going bug eyed on the computer last night trying to figure it out and quite honestly I'm not a hosta guru sooooooo it was overwhelming considering so many of them look the same to me (but ha ha I know there not...lol). We had a huge thunderstorm after I potted them last night so they are wet but they do have the same (whatever you call it) dusting that you see on blue variety's just not as heavily coated. I can't answer the question as to how tall/wide that middle one will get.

Thanks for your help

7. Droopy

I'm so sorry I can't be more of a help to you, sensibullmastiffs. Hostas are very difficult to ID, even the brand new varieties have look-a-likes now. I saw this clearly in Holland when we were buying minis. You just couldn't tell one from the other without the name tags.

The experts look at the pairing of veins, shape of blooms and cross-sections of leaves to make certain, and that's way beyond my abilities.

8. sensibullmastiffs

Droopy and others...I'm thinking because something is very familiar to me about my last photo (I think I used to have one of them years ago) but when I was browsing I googled Blue Green Heart Shaped leaves with white flowers and I came Across "Frances Williams" now I'm thinking possibly that this is what this one might be in my last picture. It definitely has bluish green thick leathery type leaves and a white flower. Whats your thoughts on that??

Still browsing.....I'll figure these out one day...lol

9. Droopy

Yes, it could be "Frances Williams". The shine in the leaves is very misleading. :D There are a few that look a bit like her, like the "Tokudama flavocircinalis, but if it grows big, that could be it.

10. sensibullmastiffs

Thanks Droopy, i will take a non rained on photo of her and upload it as soon as I can.

I've got to quit researching and trying to figure this out, because I'm finding more that I want and I don't have any more room. I need to live on 5 acres instead of 1/2 an acre lot roflol

11. Droopy

:D The Hosta Madness is a very hard, long-lasting ailment that is easily caught and hard to get rid of. I've stopped buying hostas taller than 8 inches, and try to keep below 4. :D That way I can have room for many in a limited space.

12. sensibullmastiffs

Non rained on upclose photo of the leaf of the Hosta I think??? is Frances Williams.

[​IMG]

13. sensibullmastiffs

I've driven myself crazy with research and "I think" or this is what atleast I am going to refer to my mystery Hosta's as.

1st and 2nd pic, large green one I have been told has white flowers, will see if they are fragrant when/if it blooms this year, possibly a Hosta Plantaginea

3rd pic...I'm leaning towards Gold Standard, has purple flowers and the leaves seem to go from a limey green to more of a cream centre.

And the last one that I posted an upclose dry leaf picture....Frances Williams

Thanks to those that gave me some input, if anyone else has any ideas or things to watch for as they progress through the season to otherwise "rename" would be appreciated

14. Droopy

You are very good. :D Your yellowish one might well be "Gold Standard". I'd love to see it in a couple of years to compare it with my mother's.

And yes, I think that could be Frances Williams. I can see the blue sheen on the foliage. Ours is bluer and more puckered, but it sits in full shade and is mature.

I'm not so certain about your green one, though. The H. plantaginea is usually rather small, about 0,5 meters, less than two feet.

Hosta ID-eing isn't really my favourite thing. One does tend to get lost while doing the research. I prefer to grow them. :D