Can anyone ID these please. Urgent.. Don't want them to die!

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by bradders33, Apr 14, 2011.

1. bradders33

bradders33 New Seed

Hello,

Can anyone help me please?

I found some eggs on my bathroom wall about a week ago, they were a pale green colour and laid in rows of neat lines.

I thought they looked a bit like butterfly eggs, then thought they were more likely to be moth eggs, but wasn't sure and was scared in case they were spider eggs!

Yesterday they had started to turn black, so I assumed they were close to hatching.. So I gently scraped them off a wall and in to a tub with air holes.

Today that have hatched in to black wormy / caterpillar looking creatures.. But still not sure what they are exactly.

I don't know what to do with them, whether to release them in the garden or feed them up a bit (But with what?!)

Can anyone help please? I have attached some pics, they are taken on my mobile, hence the poor quality.

I'm in the UK BTW.

Thanks,
    Vickki.

[​IMG]
    Eggs ( photo / image / picture from bradders33's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Larvae ( photo / image / picture from bradders33's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You should go ahead and release them outside. They probably won't make it since caterpillars need to be 'born' on their host plant and not knowing which kind they are there is no way to know what plant that would be. But there is always a chance they will find what they are looking for on their own.

And by the way, spider eggs are laid in sacs so you won't find individual spider eggs. Have you ever moved a flower pot or some other item around outside and found white balls of fluffy looking stuff? Those are spider egg sacs.

Frank likes this.
  4. bradders33

bradders33 New Seed

Thank you.

So they are definitely caterpillars then? I wonder why they were laid on my bathroom wall and not outside on a plant?

Thanks for the tips on the spider. *SHUDDERS!*

5. bradders33

bradders33 New Seed

They ARE caterpillars, I have just watched them close up and they are "walking" like caterpillars! They are tiny and black.

I wish they would survive somehow.. I have put some leaves from the plant from the bushes outside my bathroom, see if they eat them I suppose.

6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

This is exciting! I sure wish them luck.