Can anyone ID this plant.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Philip Nulty, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I was in an abandoned garden today and took a cutting from a plant there,..its low growing,..spreads as well,.. its about two Ft high,..evergreen,..and i am told it produces blooms.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Can't anyone help with the ID if this plant. I wanna know what it is. It is beautiful.

You 'plant smart' guys out there......come one work harder on this one....please.????

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Abelia Grandiflora ?

Viburnum davidii ?

I think that one of the determining hallmarks of the leaf structure is the longitudinal venation. That is not the most common.

Sorry that I could not positively identify this for you, but perhaps my ideas will give you two a starting point.

Another note is the colour of the new leaves--red. There are not many shrubs that have this. I had a Photinia once and it had this quality; however, the leaves are not the same as what you are showing in your foto (no longitudinal venation).

I will have another look this evening when I get home, but perhaps you guys will have found it by then.

Can you produce more foto's or info, Philip?

Good luck.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Philip, any idea what color the blooms are and what shape the shrub is? What is the temperature range there that it survives winter through? I have a book that groups plants together by their characteristics.

Sjoerds guess of the viburnum davidii looks very similar to the one in my book...but not exactly, but the plant isn't familiar to me at all and it is the closest looking one I have found in there, too.
    It is a plant that is either female or male, grows to approx 5f/1.5m tall, has clusters of small while domed flowers and if there are both sexes the female will bear blue metallic berries...

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Cotoneaster?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Folks,
    thank you Netty,..alas not a Cotoneaster.

Hi Barb,..ah yes Sjoerd has hit the nail on the head.

Hi Sjoerd,..i had intended to go back and take a picture of the parent plant you saved me a lot of bother,..i compared your suggestion plant online to my cutting,..and yes it is Viburnum davidii,..thanks again Sjoerd.

Hi Carolyn,..as you can see the ID of this plant is Viburnum davidii,.. evergreen leaves approx 6 inches long,..and produces blooms,..while i have not seen the parent plant bloom i am assured it does,..in fact my cutting has some buds on it,..from what i read its a fairly strong plant,..growing in California and in Ireland,..those two locations just for example as being opposite climates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jewell and carolyn like this.