**Can anyone identify these flowers?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by whistler, Jul 14, 2009.

1. whistler

whistler Seedling

A couple of weeks ago my husband was taking the bush machine to the weed garden and I asked him to spare a plant that appeared to be an Icelandic Poppy because I wanted to replant it to the front garden. He left it but now that its flowered its not an Icelandic poppy and I have no idea what it is. In the meantime another flower with similar leaves has flowered a pretty pink carnation type flower. Any ideas what I have and are they worth while saving. This whole area is going to see a rototiller and then we're renovating it into a raised garden bed for vegetables. I see more plants with similar leaves coming back. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    Unknown red flower ( photo / image / picture from whistler's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Unknown pink flower ( photo / image / picture from whistler's Garden )

moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The first one is an Oriental Poppy
    http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/18892

I have seen the other one before but can not for the life of me remember what it is. My first thought was Dwarf Double Scabiosa but I am not sure.

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

The second one is a double poppy. I don't know which one. Check out the leaves on the red one and the leaves on the pink one, they are the same.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I think that both of these flowers are poppies, but I have a feeling that they may not be the "Oriental" type.
    I suspect that they are varients of the P. somniferum species.
    The reason that I say this is that the Oriental variety have "hairy" leaves and these here appear to be smoothe. I think that I have had types like this that have blown-in to my lotties.

I really am not an authority, but I feel pretty sure about this one.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I love these poppies! I get them my garden, yard and where ever I have a bare spot. They seem to come in a variety of colors from red to pinks and into the lavender. They come in doubles and singles. They love disturbed sights, and even come up between the pavers in my walkways and patio. You can save the seed for next year and try to get them to grow where you want them. You will be surprised how many seeds are in one of those pods! Oh yeh, they are annuals.

I especially love that double pink. Exceptional!

Thanks Sjoerd for putting a name on them. They seem to cross pollinate but I am not sure on this. I guess the birds and wind seem to help keep them spread around the neighborhood.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I would be so happy if something that pretty would "blow into" my yard... I especially like the red one.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I agree with Sjoerd...I think they are both Somniferum types. I have had them reseed in my gardens sometimes reverting to single forms. Oriental Poppy foliage looks much different - greener and looking more like thistles.

9. whistler

whistler Seedling

Thanks for the replies. So I wasn't too far off in my guess that these are poppies. They're rather hardy. This whole area was under weeds, blackberries, morning glory, a falling down picket fence, and various garbage from a collapsed shed and what the neighbors I suspect were throwing over to our side while the renters lived here. We cleaned it up and put down polyethelene plastic tarps last year trying to kill everything. We pulled the tarps and most of the area has stayed bare. A few weeds have come back and recently these poppies. I'm going to transplant some to the front garden which I have about halfway under control right now. I have pretty yellow Icelandic poppies doing well up front so these cousins should enjoy it up there too with the south exposure.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

those flowers look nice!

11. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

If you Google Images of Papaver somniferum you will be astonished at the varieties available. They, like P. rhoeas are primary colonisers and the seed is very long lived in the soil. Any bare patch of freshly dug or disturbed soil will soon be colonised by either of these types if they have been anywhere near in the last 100 years or so.