Can anyone Identify what type of shrub this is ...need help

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by chgs7, Jul 28, 2013.

1. chgs7

chgs7 New Seed

Hi All ,
    I need help Identifying what this particular shrub is called. It appears to be dying. I attached a pic of what it looks like.
    I think it may be close in relation to Acalypha wilkesiana 'Tricolor' /Tricolor Copper Plant
    but really don't have a clue. Any advice on pruning it or ways to save would really help out.
    Thanks in advance :)

[​IMG]
    shrub identification? ( photo / image / picture from chgs7's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Pretty sure it is not an acalypha,the leaves are not right and they also are inclined to hang rather than stand.

4. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

My first thought is Box/Buxus Sempervirens. If it is then all you need to do is to trim it to keep it in the shape you want.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Is it a euonymous?

Advertisement
  6. georgimz

georgimz New Seed

Maybe itis some type of Ficus

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Not sure for certain, but it kind of reminds me of pittosporum. I can't tell from the picture if it is a shrub or not (pittosporum is a shrub, not a low growing ground cover) We used it in the flowershop for a foliage in arrangements. The leaves are uniquely fragrant, but not flowery fragrant. can you crush a leaf in your hand or just rub it between your fingers to release any aromatic oils or scratch the bark with your fingernail to release to smell.... The white spotty stuff doesn't make it look heatlthy, though. From the photo it looks as if it has spidermites. Is there a web covering the leaf and petioles? if you look close (you may need a loupe or magnifying glass) to see the little mites as they move around. If so spray it with an insecticidal soap (or soapy water, but insecticidal soap works the best) and clean the plant up. It will grow better without the mites if that is what is on there.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor