Can anyone recommend a camera to me? *pics*

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Ronni, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Since cameras went digital, I've pretty much always used some kind of simple point-and-shoot. I find cameras a bit intimidating, so up till now I've stayed with what I understand and are pretty much idiot-proof.

William, my son-in-law, is a fabulous photographer (he did it as a living for a while) and his photos are always breathtaking. He says it's one part composition, and two parts camera, and that his camera (a high end Canon Rebel) makes a big difference in the quality of his shots. I want my photos to look like his look, so to that end, I've decided up my camera game, and Lee's getting me a better quality one for Christmas.

William's camera cost over $1000. I have NO intention of spending anywhere NEAR that much! My Canon Power Shot Elph point and shoot cost a little over $100. I've been looking in the $300 - $400 range, a DSLR with decent zoom, sharp pictures, and other stuff that I don't really understand but Lee does. I want to eliminate these problems that I have with my Elph: 1. The delay that happens every time I take a picture...there's a lag between depressing the shutter and the image that is captured, so I think I'm taking a pictures of the baby smiling, but by the time the camera captures the image she's looking away or crying. 2. The clarity and sharpness of the images need to at least begin to approach that of William's photos. Mine with the Elph aren't bad, but comparatively they're much more fuzzy round the edges. 3. Better zoom capabilities......when I zoom in with the Elph, the pictures get even more fuzzy.

I would much prefer a camera with a view finder as well as an led screen, and that has a rechargeable battery.

Oh! It also has to interface seamlessly with my Mac/iPhoto. I had a Lumix before the Canon I now have, and the transfer of photos from it to my iPhoto was agonizing, including use of their software in order to be able to interface at all with my computer, so there were several additional steps before I was ever able to get the images to my iPhoto. With the Canon, I plug it in to my computer, it automatically opens iPhoto and prompts me to import.

Any of your camera buffs out there have any recommendations?

Moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic
    Moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've been using a Canon PowerShot A550 for the last 4 or 5 years. I think it takes good quality photos and is easy to use. My only complaint with it is it's zoom capabilities. It's only 4X digital (plux 4X optical which sucks quality-wise).
    Other than that... it's easy to use and does what I need.
    I'm partial to Canons since that was the first 35mm I bought when I was in college for my Photography classes.
    And I've been thinking of getting a new camera some time this coming up year, so I'll be watching this to see what others are using/recommending.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I can empathize with your plight about your camera. When we went to Hawaii I wanted my wife to be able to take her own pictures independent of mine so we bought her a ELPH300. I used it under low light conditions so I would not have to use my flash. The delay, <1 sec, was noticeable but something we could live with. However My 7 year old Rebel does not have the same hindrance. Delays are only under low light conditions when the camera has to assess the light to know how much flash to use. My next camera to replace my old one will be a Canon EOS 70D. After over 32,000 photographs it is time for an upgrade.

There are camera stores in NYC where you can get a Canon EOS T3 and lens kit for under $450. While on the the high side after a point and shoot it presents more opportunities and options.

Jerry

5. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Learn about pixels!!! and WHY more is better!! Optical zoom is much more important than digital, pixels are part of the reason for this..
    Hank

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have two camera's and I like them both and use them in different ways and under different circumstances.

(1)--Canon PowerShot SX240-HS

and

(2)--Nikon D60

These two camera's satisfy my fotografing needs in every way.

You mentioned having blurry shots when you zoom in...I would suggest if you are making an important foto that you use a statief (?tripod?) for security.

Should you wind up choosing one or both of these camera's, then I would be willing to talk to you about their use and any other detail or technique that you would have a question about.

You know Ronni, both of these models are now oldish but perhaps still available; otherwise the models that have replaced them will no doubt be equally as good.

It sounds as if you have some very good advisor(s) there, so you may not require any pre-purchase advice other than camera brands and models.

Good luck with your search. A good camera can really decorate your life with lovely memories and personal appreciation of your own abilities.

Keep us posted.

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have several modest cameras. I have an old Rolliflex SLR 35 mm camera, and it took great pictures. However, it needs some inside parts replaced, and I am giving to my one son. I bought that one used for $65 back in the 80s or 90s.

I had a Canon Power Shot A40, I think it is. I recently donated it to my church for a fundraiser. [There is nothing wrong with it, it is just an older model.] It took great pictures, but the zoom left something to be desired as I could never get close enough to birds and such to take decent pictures. A neighbor kid had to show me how to use this one because the owner's manual is huge and the equivalent of Greek.

I have a Vivitar that I spent about $70 for, and it takes nice shots. However, it does not have the eyehole for aiming, and I have trouble seeing good enough to focus the pictures without it. It also does not have enough zoom for me. I had to go online to access the owner's manual to find out how to use the darn thing.

I also have my late son's Kodak digital which is fancier than either of my others. I like it fine, but again the issue of not enough zoom. I have his Blackberry cell phone with a camera, but it is not a very good camera. Getting the pics from it to my computer was a ROYAL PAIN IN THE REAR even for my techie son, so I dont take any only with it that which I want in here. The zoom on there is pathetic.

A long time ago, I had a fancy Kodak Disc camera, which was new back then and took exceptional pictures. I won't say who got rid of it, but it was not me. GRRRRR.

My son was telling me I would have to spend around $1K to get a good camera that does what I want, which is good macro and micro shots. And then I would have to hire someone to teach me how to use it.

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Jerry, I have the Elph 500. It has less delay than prior cameras, but way more than William's high end Rebel.

The Canon you're planning to get sounds awesome....I googled it some and wow! Packs a LOT of punch it seems, even though I don't know a whole bunch about cameras.

I checked out the T3 on Amazon (I'm a Prime member.) I can get one there for around $350. I doesn't come with an additional lens though. Really, I don't know that I need one....I mean, after my little point and shoot, ANY camera upgrade will be fun to play with, a much steeper learning curve, better images, even with just the basic camera with no add-ons. I'm thinking it will be a while before I will even know what to do with more than one lens. ;)

You're the second or third person to recommend that particular camera, which I find interesting. The Amazon reviews on it are amazing!

I've also been looking at the Lumix FZ70, but the reviews aren't anywhere near as good as the T3, plus there's a lot of gray area concerning how well it interfaces with Macs, (requires their proprietary software etc.) compared to the Canon products which I know from personal experience interface seamlessly by simply plugging it in to the computer which automatically launches iPhoto and prompts you to import.

I'm leaning strongly towards the T3.

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I have a small Sony-Cyber-shot 7.2 mega pixels,..it does about everything i need for making those videos i post on YouTube and elsewhere,..it fits in my shirt pocket,..the cost was approx $100,..i would like something with a better zoom,..though oddly enough i seldom use the present zoom,..but thinking,..thinking.

10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Philip, I have the same thing about the zoom. I don't use it much on my Elph, so went back and forth about what kind of zoom I needed on a better camera. Finally realized something. It's not that I wouldn't like to use the zoom, but the images are very grainy the closer I zoom in. So I've just pretty much stopped using it for close up shots. I'll zoom a bit, but there's a sweet spot beyond which the image quality suffers markedly. I'm thinking I'll use the zoom feature a LOT if it doesn't affect he integrity of the image. The T3 has a decent zoom, and the additional lenses my son-in-law has (he's got that high-end Canon Rebel) will work with the T3, so I can fool around with other lenses before I decide to buy one of my own.

I'm probably going to order it from Amazon today.....well, Lee is. It's a Christmas present from him to me, so while I'm doing most of the research because I know the features I want, he's doing the purchasing work ("work" being a relative term....hitting a few computer keys to complete the ordering process!) and shelling out the money to pay for it. :)

11. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Sounds like a good deal Ronni.

12. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I believe I had the same camera, several rotations ago. It's part of what made me really like Canons, and why I went back to my little Canon Elph this last time.

Oops. Sorry. "Got rid of" as in broke?

Well, if everything I've read and been told about is true, the Canon T3 will do all that, AND I won't need an engineering degree in order to be able to use it! That's another thing I like about Canons, the controls are pretty user friendly and intuitive...comparatively speaking of course, because even the little point and shoot has buttons which I can't remember the use of till I go take another look at the manual.

But still, in this day and age of google and youtube videos, there are an endless number of tutorials that will walk me through every step of every button, online manuals of epic proportions if I need to look some specific thing up, and a son-in-law and a housemate who will be endlessly patient with me sharing their knowledge of cameras in general (Lee used to be a property master for movies, and spent a lot of time behind a camera)

I have lots of support as I embark on this new camera journey, which I will hopefully be starting soon.........my new EOS Canon Rebel T3 arrives today! :setf_052:

13. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh! Forgot to mention something for any of you thinking about getting another camera, and especially you, AAnightowl because it sounds like you might be closer than most.

This particular Canon, while it has much more horsepower than the best point and shoot out there, is still an entry-level DSLR camera, for anyone wanting to upgrade from a point and shoot to a DSLR, like me.

What that translates to, for me, is price, ease of use, not too bulky, an acceptable number of bells and whistles, and a not overwhelming learning curve. It's made for the first time DSLR user with a lot of the power and versatility of that kind of camera, but without being so dumbed-down that you may as well just use a point and shoot.

I'm eager to get my hands on it, and see if all its claims are true. It's a Canon which I'm used to anyway, and also I have some familiarity with my son in law's camera which is a high end Canon so it won't feel completely alien to me.

I'm very excited! Can't wait for it to get here. :D

14. cherylad

Looking forward to your review and photos with your new camera.
    I can feel your excitement!
    Now, let's just hope it gets delivered on time and to the right address. :D
    (sorry... couldn't resists) ;)

15. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

C'mere, Cheryl, so I can smack you.

;)

16. cherylad

I deserve it Ronni, I know. :p