Can Hens & Chicks be divided ?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Aug 6, 2010.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Can hens and chicks be divided ? Or can the little babies be taken off and planted somewhere else,I have a rock hill can they be planted between the rocks if I put some dirt under them,I love my hens and chicks they were so pretty this year. Do they do better in the shade or both sun and shade, Should this little tall fellow be laid down or what ?I have never seen one get like this I love him, He was so cute.

Thanks a bunch Margie :stew2:

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Margie I have Hen and Chicks here in Scotland. They like to be planted in full sun to partial shade and in well-drained soil.
    The "hens"/mother plants (just like the one in your photograph) will die after flowering, but by that time they will have produced numerous "chicks" to take their place. To propagate, simply split off the chicks from the parent plant and transplant them. Providing contact with the soil should be sufficient for transplanting, since hens and chicks root really easily. You can plant them between the rocks without a problem. As long as they have some soil to root into they should grow well for you. :stew1:

4. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hens& Chicks

Thank you Eileen, I thought they might look really good in between the rocks, I know it will take time to grow, but mine have really shot of a lot of little babies this summer since I got them, Do you think if I do that this time of year they will do ok? I would have them every where if I had more, Crazy I guess.But it's fun.
    Thank a bunch Margie

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You should have no problems removing the chicks and planting them up at this time of year Margie. They grow on well here in Scotland and survive our harsh winters so should be just fine. :-D