Can I divide a Hosta now or wait till fall?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by toni, Mar 19, 2011.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The Hosta I have planted in pots have come up in a big hurry this month and they all have multiplied. Yeah, I didn't pay much attention to them last fall or I probably would have noticed that.:rolleyes:

I will be transplanting them from the pots to the shade bed this year, will it damage them to gently pull them apart when I move them or should I plant them in the clump and divide in October?

2. Loading...

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I wouldn't go by my advice alone Toni, as there are many hosta experts on our forum.... but.... I've divided hosta successfully at all times of the year... and I wasn't even necessarily very gentle about it... I think they've even done better when divided before the heat of the summer kicked in.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

You can divide the Hosta now, The earlier the better if you want them to look good. If the leaves have not unfolded you are early enough to prevent leaf damage as you divide the plants. I find it more difficult as the season progresses because the leaves tear easely. When the shoots are about an inch above ground level I divide the large Hosta( 3 feet in diameter or more) with a shovel. Some of the smaller Hosta (2 feet in diameter or less) I divide by hand or with a garden trowel.

Jerry

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

What Jerry said. Me, I live by the rule saying that the right time to move/divide plants is when I have time to do it. :D

The commercial gardeners cut the first shoots off in spring in order to make the hosta root come up with more shoots so they can be divided into more plants. This fact helps me overcome my bad conscience of accidentally breaking off some shoots while I move or divide hostas. :D I know, I'm a nutcase.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks for the information you all.
    With the exceptionally warm weather we hve been having...80's most days now...the shoots are well over 1-2 inches tall and the leaves have uncurled. I will be adding more soil to the shade bed I have been building these last two years and I think I will go ahead and transplant them this week....if they happen to come apart when I dig them up then so much the better. ;)

Droopy, I trim back rose bushes by that same rule...when I have the time and so far they are doing fine. ;)

7. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Toni, hosta are like weeds in my garden! I move them when I see them all through the year and the worse they do is a poor year and rebound the following year like gangbusters! I really love them but then again, I have very limited sunny places.