Can I make a garden here?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, May 5, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

It occurred to me that having a small garden, really just like a border, next to the walkway that leads to the porch, might be attractive. I don't want a full garden per se, but I was thinking that a small border large enough for some kind of low lying plants, sort of like creeping phlox, might be attractive. Here's a picture of the area I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

I'm talking about the area to the left of the pathway, a small strip of planting area that would run parallel to the path and end where the concrete right angles.

Here's another closer view if that helps.
    [​IMG]

So I have three primary questions which of course will spawn numerous others depending on your answers. ;)

First of all, do you think it would look OK to do this?

If you do, what do you think I should plant? I want some sort of dense, flowering ground cover type thing....I'm envisioning something low to the ground and that will spread to form a carpet of color, which is why I thought creeping phlox, because it's the only plant whose name I know that does this! :-D

And finally, I have NO clue how to make a garden bed from lawn, other than digging up the lawn. But I'm assuming the lawn will just grow back, or grow into the bed, if I don't do something to stop that, right?

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Great idea! Creeping phlox is a good plant, and should be perfect for that area.
    May I suggest that instead of having the two beds intersect at a right angle, that you curve the intersection to make mowing easier?
    About removing grass--digging is good, especially if you dig deep enough to get the roots. Making a new bed in lawn isn't easy, but grass removal is the first step. If you aren't up to all that digging, try applying an herbicide (Round-up comes to mind) that doesn't linger in the soil (I use vinegar, but I'm not sure it would act quickly enough for your purpose). Once the grass is gone, use an edging to keep it from creeping back in (although you will have some grass show up from time to time). And of course, mulch, lots and lots of mulch!
    Show us what you decide to do when you get it started, okay?