Can I plant hosta on a rock slope?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Oct 16, 2011.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hello everyone Can I plant hosta on a rock slope if I plant it in dirt.I thought they may look pretty coming down the rocks. :stew2:

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

I would say yes if the slope is in the shade and if it is moist because if it was in the sun, the sun and heat from the rocks would dry them up and kill them.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Being in Indiana you just have to make sure the plant won't freeze out. It may get colder on his lil feet. I have hosta very near large rock, as we grow rock here more than native plants, and they have been fine for many years. Some hosta like sun and some like shade so look at that before you plant.

Barb in Pa

5. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

when i lived in NEW ENGLAND (MA)my whole house was surrounded with endless Hosta. I used to dig them up and give them away. One year I ran out of time and several Hosta were left above ground. They survived Ice and snow and freezing rain. they had no trouble blooming above groundin the spring. In fact , they stayed there for 2 winters before I finally got them planted.

They are very hardy plants.
    We had them planted in between rocks and in poor soil. Never daunted them in the least.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hosta are very forgiving when it comes to planting location. On a slope the concern is soil erosion and the gradual exposure of roots, especially plants newly planted. If you can terrace the location, perhaps using rocks to retain soil, then the plant will benefit from soil retention and water will not roll past the plant reducing its normal water intake.

Jerry

7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I would think your Hosta would probably do alright. I do see some varieties that will get too hot and burn. This might happen if they are in sun and close to (hot) rocks in the summer. Then the plant isn't as enjoyable; all sunburned.