Can I shorten all branches of fig tree before cover ?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by blueskyinsummer, Dec 25, 2011.

1. blueskyinsummer

blueskyinsummer New Seed

My fig trees are too tall and it is difficult for me to cover with burlap and tarp for winter protection.
    Can I shorten height to 1/3?
    The reason why I delayed to protect my fig trees is because I don't want these fig trees to have fungus knowing we were having warm weather and rain.
    Am I going to cause damage if I shorten all branches of my fig trees?
    These trees are 3 years old Brown Turkey.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The answer to your fig question depends greatly on where you are. Here in Texas we let our fig trees alone in winter, and do some early spring pruning. If you are in a colder climate, that won't work so well.
    Please tell us your location, and the zone if possible. That will help immensely in answering your question.

4. blueskyinsummer

blueskyinsummer New Seed

marlingardener, I live state of Pennsylvania(zone6?) but we are not having severe weather yet.
    My fig trees survived without any protection two years ago.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Considering the age of your fig trees (3 years or older) and the fact that they are well-established by now, I think they will survive the winter without being covered. However, I'd mulch well, about 4" to 6" around the roots.
    Figs are very hardy, and even if you get some die-back on the twigs, the shrub will come back and thrive.

Advertisement
  6. blueskyinsummer

blueskyinsummer New Seed

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Gracious yes, topping is about the worst thing that can happen to a tree, any tree! I kicked a tree guy off our property because the business card he gave me listed "tree topping" among the offered services.
    Your fig is naturally a multi-trunked tree/shrub. Just cut what is in your way, or any limbs that cross and rub each other. Your fig tree will be fine, and give you lots of figs!

8. laurensaav

laurensaav New Seed

Thanks for the help.