Can I uproot a few of strawberry vines for container?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Tina, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I have strawberry vines in the edging of my yard.(The plant ID forum helped me identify them as strawberry. YEEEAAAHHHH!!!!!!)
    Ok, now that I have that out of me - I have a question. I want to plant a few in a hanging basket. Will it survive if I pluck a few of the vines and plant them in the container?
    Is there a special technique to do that?
    Thanks for all your help.
    Tina.

2. Loading...

3. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Strawberries like acidic soil and can easily be grown in containers also put something under the berries themselves to avoid ground rot. In Louisiana people use pine Straw on both strawberries and Azeleas. Check out LSU's horticultural web site :smt045

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Tina if you grow your strawberries in hanging baskets remember they will need to be watered often as HB's are prone to drying out. You could solve this problem by going to a good garden centre and buying water retaining crystals though. I'm told they work well as they swell from small crystals into blobs of water soaked jelly approx 40 times the size of the origional crystal and keep the baskets moist for a much longer period of time.

5. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Starwberries spread by sending out runners, then rooting new plantlets, it's a piece of cake to pinch off one of these and pop it in a pot. But yes, they do need to be kept moist. If you use a clay pot, that's good too.

6. MarySchaffer

MarySchaffer New Seed

Hanging basket is ok but dont forget to water them often. Good luck.