Can nasturtium take freezing weather?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Bodhi, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

Hi everyone,
    I am a southern gardener, but know many of you do colder climates. I love nasturtium, and know it prefers cold weather. I sowed seed about a week ago, 9in container) I brought it in last night during our snap, as it has just sprouted.
    But can older nasturtium take 32 to say, 27 degrees?
    Thanks in advance guys ;)

2. Loading...

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Mine did not survive the first frost here this year.... :( Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

4. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

My experience with them has been HUMmmmmm! Not so good!!! they don't seem to like potting soil and they are one of the first plants to freeze in the fall. So I would not chance it old or young plants by leaving them out in weather that gets down to freezing temps. IMHO

5. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

Thanks MaryAnn!
    Pondlady, what kind of soil does yours like? a sandy type?
    I'll be sure to keep mine potted then, so I can keep it out of frost. I love the flowers, and the capers they make :)

Advertisement
  6. RJ

RJ New Seed

Nasturtium will not survive frost or freeze. I know this from experience. However the seeds will winter over. Morning glory, Nasturtium, Four o'clocks can be planted in the fall (the seeds). They know when to grow. My mother liked the plants so the seed were planted just after the ground thawed. However once they have sprouted they are suseptable to frost or freeze.

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I'm going to try nasturtiums this year! I've tried in years past but they were so spindly :'( I think it was because of potting soil. So, this time I'm going to plant them in the flowerbed in plain old dirt. Hopefully they'll do much better :-o I do know that they don't like frost :-?