Can not find this flower name

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by fish_4_all, Mar 18, 2010.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I can't even find a picture but I think I can describe it good enough. I think it was a flower anyway.

The ones I saw were purple or blue.
    They had the same shape flower stalk as a hyacinth and flower pattern.
    The "flowers" were solid though and more of a marble than a bloom. Fleshy but hard, kinda like a red grape.
    The clusters were very tight together and almost crowding each other out making the cluster uneven and bumpy.

What is the name of this flower, I think it is a flower anyway. I did look at grape hyacinth and that is not it, the "flowers" did not open up at the bottm unless they had already done so and this was some kind of fruit.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I thought it might be too but it wasn't weven close. The flower stal;k was 10-12 inches tall and had a good 40-60 of the "grapes" on it. And they were solid like a fruit if I remember right. Who knows, it may have been fake but I am pretty sure it was a real something. I am not sure but I think it comes in different colors like orange and red as well as purple but maybe it didn't come in purple.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Where did you see this plant? Outside, inside, full sun, shade. What was the shape of the leaves? In a private garden, garden center, arboretum?

Maybe knowing its growing conditions would help someone come up with the name.

Advertisement
  6. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Outside, full sun, stems were about 3 foot long maybe longer or short but not by much, large leaves, serrated slightly I think, not heart shaped but spade shaped again if I remember right, cone shaped stalk of "flowers" with what looked like fruit wider at the bottom taper to the top, maybe 8 of the flower/fruit around the bottom, 1-2 at the top, looked like they had flower ends on each of the fruit that were very clean and not open, I think I have seen them in red, orange, pink and purple but can not be certain of purple or pink now.

If it helps it kinda looked a bunch of unripe cherry tomatoes on a cone all clustered tight together.

7. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

When I look at the red hot poker flower it is very similar in both color and shapes but almost like seed pods instead of flowers. Does RHP develope seed pods from the flowers that might look like what I have decribed?

8. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

http://thumb15.shutterstock.com.edgesui ... 126387.jpg

This is a picture that is close to the flower I want to find the name of. It is the exact same shape and pretty much the same color except it had berries about the size of cherry tomato instead of the pine cone structure.

That flower is really cool looking though. Doubt I would ever get it to grow though.

9. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I think I found it.

image 1

image 2

alocasia odora or elephant ear plant. It appears to be the fruit of such plant although it is still not exactly as I remember it. The one I saw was yellow orange and red but it may have just been different stages of ripe. It was also fully exposed and didn't have the base but who knows, it might just be a different species or variant of an elephant ear.