Can these things wait?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Just in the past couple of days, the temps have cooled considerably here in Nashville. Well, the daytime temps haven't been drastically cooler, though the humidity's gone WAY down. But nights have been almost chilly these past several, dropping to the 50's till the sun comes up and warms the day. There really wasn't much graduation to that either.....it was 70+ at night, and then the evening temps just plummeted.

I have a rose bush to move, and at least one foundation shrub to replace. I've also been toying with the idea of moving a couple of my other perennials, newly planted in the spring.

As you are all aware, I know next to nothing about gardening, but I'm learning thanks to you all! So I don't know how far into the fall I can go before these things have to get moved. I'm still at my daughter's house every day, most of the day, helping out after the birth of my newest grandbaby. I will slowly be spending less time there as Paige heals and is able to be more mobile, but I have to go back to work next Monday, so it will be a couple of weeks at least before I can tend to anything in the garden beyond some quick watering.

I understand that ambient temperatures, more than the date on a calendar, determine plant cycles, so I am concerned that with this plummet in night time temps I'm missing the window I have to safely move these plants.

I need some of your wisdom, please. :-D

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ronni, moving perennials in the fall has a wide, wide window of opportunity. Cooler temps help a lot, since you don't want new growth starting (transplanting often involves some pruning, which usually stimulates new growth if conditions are right).
    I'd think you could easily wait a couple of weeks, perhaps more. The newly planted perennials likely won't need pruning, but I remember that rose bush!

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

MG thanks. I just posted another thread about moving other plants, because I just found out that my Bradford Pear tree in my front yard has to come down, and it's surrounded by plants. So I'm trying to incorporate moving everything together, though that might not be the best plan.

Honestly my head's spinning right now trying to figure out what to do. :(