Can this tree be identified

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by heather7, Jul 11, 2011.

1. heather7

heather7 New Seed

I thought this was a medlar but I now have my doubts. Does anyone know what it is.

[​IMG]

moderator's note: Edited to add photo

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

hi heather, I am not familiar with this tree/shrub, but could you tell us a little about it. Maybe with some clues we can help if no one else is familiar with it. Is this a tree , shrub, overgrown house plant, what? does it have a white sap if you cut it or pull off a leaf, is that orange leaf normal or a damaged one that it is shedding? The new leaf and stem reminds me of the rubber plants I have seen, but they have always been houseplants or in the greenhouse.

I looked at the medlar shrub in Dave's Garden, but I don't think this is what is in your picture. The leaves don't look the same and it is very slow growing, also.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

O.K. I knew I saw this before. There are some 10 foot specimens in Florida. As a native of South Pacific islands this plant grows to tree size, as a house plant 3-4 feet. Acalypha wilkesiana or by it's common name Copper-Leaf is an eye catcher wherever it is displayed.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Good morning, please excuse me for differing, I grow copper leaf plant and a few other shrubs of the same family, I believe it is not a copper leaf but a loquat tree...eriobotrya japonica...it has small yellow fruits with large pips or stones in the centre.The loquat tree is much more rigid than a copper leaf which is more floppy.

7. featherphobia

featherphobia Seedling

Could it be a loquat, Eriobotrya japonica, the foliage looks very similar. Does it bear fruit?

8. heather7

heather7 New Seed

Has never born flower or fruit in its 10 year life. Having said that, it is growing in England which is hardly what you would call a tropical climate.