Can you share your flower power knowledge?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Mrs. Galeassi, May 19, 2013.

1. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Good afternoon Stewbies,
    I have some questions about my flowers. Its my second season seriously gardening. I've had plants in the past but I wasn't any kind of gardener. Ok so the first thing I need clarity on is propagation. Can someone explain this to me. And id like to know how to get seeds from some of my flowers. I know where marigold seeds are... :) But I have a beautiful African daisy, cosmos(haven't flowered yet) also a celosia, a petunia,mini rose bush and sweet william dianthus. I just purchased Shasta(alaska) Daisy seeds and Aster(crego) seeds. Could someone please tell me how to get the seeds from any of these flowers I mentioned.

I'm also curious about the maintnance of the celosia. Does it need to be pruned, the tag didn't say much about care. Like I know on most flowers you take the dead blooms off and it promotes more flowering. And that its healthy for the plant if you remove dead foilage. But I'm totally stumped on the celosia. Its kinda furry not flowery. Haha :)

Any other information about flowers you think I may need please feel free to share. Id like as much knowledge as possible. Thanks for any and all help your able to give. :)

[​IMG]
    5/19 Second bloom morning glory ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

[​IMG]
    5/19 ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

[​IMG]
    5/19 Petunia ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

[​IMG]
    5/19 Mini Rose bush ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

[​IMG]
    5/19 Sweet Willams ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Hey thanks Eileen there are a lot of videos there I need to check out. That one taught me about petunia seeds, I didn't know they are almost like getting marigold seeds. She mentioned daisies too but didn't show, so I think they are the same way too. I guess I should just start opening some of the spent flowers and investigate.

Hey but please if anyone has anything to add that I should know your help would be great too. There is much to learn. :)

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mrs. G, from seeing the photos of your flowers, I don't think you need much help with flower gardening!
    About celosia, cut off the spent blooms to encourage re-bloom. The rule of thumb is: annuals like celosia rebloom because they have only one season to set seed, so if the spent bloom is cut off before seed production, the plant will send out new blooms to get the job done. A little extra fertilizer helps the annual have the strength to rebloom. Perennials bloom once over a period of time (some brief, some longer) and if you want seed, let the old blossom ripen.
    Cosmos will self-seed. If they are a hybrid, you may not get the same color/size you planted but you'll get cosmos. I always just leave mine alone and they self-perpetuate.
    I don't know about the other flowers you mention, except the mini-rose is a perennial and most likely a hybrid, so you won't want to try propagating it.

Mrs. Galeassi likes this.