Can you start lillies from seeds?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by fish_4_all, Jun 7, 2010.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I have a few lillies that have what I believe to be seed pods left on them and they are developing well. I believe they are Asiatic lillies. I also have more lillies that will be blooming soon and calla lillies that are late but will hopefully bloom sooner or later.

Is there a special process that one can harvest the seeds, if there are seeds, and start new plants? Is it even worth the effort knowing that the bulbs will reproduce themselves?

2. Loading...

3. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

Yes you can, They my not come true to color of the parent plant but they will grow from seed. Google growing lilies from seeds and you should find good advice on collecting and germinating them. Good luck!!

4. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I found really good advice on Calla lillies but nothing nearly as detailed for tany other lilly. Hopefully I can find some better advice on regular ones with a more detailed search.

I was a little discouraged hearing that it can be 3 years before you see a flower but is something that will keep me working to keep them alive long enough to see the flowers of my labors.

5. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Yes you can

My turks caps were .

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My Turks Cap Lily's are prolific self seeders too. I think it takes 3 years for them to bloom from seed too.

7. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

I have no idea how long. Just know I did it.

b

8. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

My research has turned up a few different things:
    Some species will bloom in one year after planting the seeds. Some places say asiatic and another are easy to grow quickly.
    Some species take 3 years according to some sites.
    All of them say it is not hard to do but takes time and patience, leave them be in the right conditions and they will grow rather e4asily.
    I found great info on calla lilies for collecting the seeds but still nothing on asiatic nor any other stamen seed pod types.

Anyone have any suggestions on when to collect the stamen type seed pods? Wait until they are dried out? Pick them and dry them? I don't see a large seed in the pods, the seeds are very small indeed. They say Calla lily seeds are rather large and almost like a miniature bulb. Are the seeds from them actually that small or do I need to wait for some maturation process before picking them?

9. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Cant answer the questions, but did just read you can plant them when fresh picked. i am assuming when they are dryed on the plant.