Canna Lily Storage idea

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by AAnightowl, Oct 21, 2011.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Around here, we have to bring canna bulbs in for the winter [also elephant ears and other non-hardy bulbs. My house is very little, so storing them is a challenge each year. Last year, I stored them in a plastic feed sack to keep my cats out of them. This year, I might have found a better idea. I have several hanging pots not being used at the moment, so I thought I would put them in those, and hang them in my laundry room. It is cool in that room, and I have some hooks in the ceiling, along with a rod between two hooks at the window. I did put them to the back where they will be shaded. They are up out of reach, and will not freeze there. They won't get soggy or frozen. Yay.

Another season, I used old gift sacks to store and dry the seed heads of zinnias and marigolds so they would not get damp and moldy. That did very well too. I just hung them on a nail in the wall in my laundry room/all purpose room... :stew1:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Mrs. Hankshaw
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. kate
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

When do you and how do you pull them to store? I have a few and it should be done, but I have never grown them before. :-?

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

We had our first frost last night. It wasnt a heavy freeze, but they were damaged on the leaves. You can also do it right before an expected frost/freeze. Mine came up quite easily, I just pull them out by their stems. :stew1: I also cut off all of their stems and put them in the compost pile. My elephant ears have died off. Those only seem to live a few years for me.

I got mine a few years ago, and so far they have not bloomed for me. They grow well and make babies, get full sun, have good soil, etc. I do not know why they have not yet bloomed. :rolleyes: :(

5. KOW

KOW New Seed

Great idea for the cannas. I usually just store them in a leaf/lawn bag but then worry if they're getting enough air circulation (to avoid mold, etc.) I also have elephant ears so it will be a great way to separate them. Thanks!

Advertisement
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Hi KOW... are you KOW from BHG Garden Talk and LHJ ? Yay... glad you are here.

7. KOW

KOW New Seed

It's me. I'm wandering around these days. Visiting different sites. It's great to see a familiar face!!!

8. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

I have several empty hanging baskets now...that's a great idea.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi all,
    I have grown cannas for about 5 years now. I dig them up in the fall, let the soil dry out in the sun for a day or two (it is only 50-60 degrees here), then stick them in a garbage bag with dry peat moss in the basement. By spring, they have sprouted in the bag and are ready for planting.
    AAnightowl--If your cannas are not blooming it is because your growing season is too short. If you want blooms, start them indoors a month ahead of planting out & you will get blooms. I used to do that, but don't bother now. I grow them for the foliage contrast. They are pretty spectacular plants, aren't they?

10. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Everyone else around here gets lots of blooms and doesnt start them indoors... :( We have a long growing season here in southern MO.

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

AAnightowl--Oh! Yes I should have looked at where your garden was! Then it is a mystery to me too why they are not blooming.

12. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I've been growing canna for a loooonngg time. I store my rhizomes in a partially heated garage, in milk crates, covered with an old blanket. Works well for me.

13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

If I had a garage or a basement, I would use it.