Caring for My Plum tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by bob6831, May 18, 2008.

1. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Hi.
    Have had problem with my Stanley plum tree last few years. Believe I have plum curculio and black knot in past few years.
    I cut off the limbs with the knots last year, and that problem looks fairly good this year... only had few small areas that had black knotty matterial (cut those off).
    Questions:
    1) Have applied 2 applications of Sevin now. First was last week about 2 days after blooms were done. 2nd application today. I have lost my Sevin instructions. Should I apply regular at 2 week intervals now?
    2) Read somewhere online that using Sevin could lead to aphid or mites problems???? Is this true???? If so, then what is the answer??? What do aphid/mites problem look like?
    3)Also saw something about Bayer Advanced Garden Spray..... said it was better than Sevin for japanese beetles. Should I get this and stop using Sevin??? Will it work for plum curculio also???
    4)Also read something about spraying Sevin on the soil vs on the plant leaves. Which is correct? I have been spraying on the leaves and some onto the ground around the tree base.
    5)Looks like tree produced a lot of baby plums. Should I thin them out to about 1 every 4 inches?
    Thx
    Bob

2. Loading...

3. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

49 views but no answers/comments????? Am I doing something wrong?????

4. xylona

xylona Seedling

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I just don't think that anyone who has read this, knows that answers, thus they are not responding.
    I do not know that answers either as I do not have any plum trees...I am getting ready to struggle with an apple tree later this year.
    I just wanted to let you know that I/we are reading and we are not ignoring you. :)
    If I find something out, I will post it on here for you. ;)