Carolyn's area got hammered with rain last night.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by fatbaldguy, May 13, 2014.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

A friend in Lorain, Ohio called and said he got 7" in 5 hours. Hope she made out OK.

carolyn likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So do I. Although here in Scotland we get rain like that more often than not. :rolleyes: Hey maybe you should all come over here to live. ;)

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yeah, it's bad here. There are roads washed out, of all places, a town called Bath and bridges collapsed, culverts washed out.. River Keiper was an ocean, the catch basins got plugged with all the debris washing through the ravines and floated flats of cole crops sitting along the parking lot and washed some of them down the driveway...some were totally washed away. the dill is all gone, some cabbage totally gone, the deck of the shed inside and out covered in water and debris.... we have been out since 7:00 cleaning up... the greenhouse had standing water in it... I am hot and tired.

We laid plastic on Saturday and planted the kale and cabbage.. they are gone. 6" of soil washed out of the garden...gone, down the ditches to the River Styx. 4 rows of greenbeans... gone, along with 6" of topsoil from that part of the garden, too. It is a mess.

We used the skid steer and filled the bucket 3 times with gravel washed down the driveway from our equipment yard. The pond in the back neighbors yard overflowed washing all of that water to our driveway and parking lot for the roadside stand....mess mess mess! but it could have been worse, so I am thankful it is not.

5. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Here's hoping you had crop insurance.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That sounds awful Carolyn. Glad you're okay though.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh Carolyn, I am so sorry you had such destruction. Please don't stress yourself trying to recover. It will get done, but not if you are exhausted/sore/distressed.
    Crops can be replaced, if not this year then next. You, however, are irreplaceable! :smt049

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We are doing okay...thanks for the worry, but don't keep it up. We are safe and sound, just weary from the cleaning and lots more to get done. the neighbors yard is a mess from all the debris washed out there from our yard, but there is nothing I can do about running water overflowing the catch basin in the back.... just help clean it up and put it back. just a lot of work for us here. I am thankful there wasn't a tornado touch down and then there would be no power and lots more work to do. I took some pics, but it is hard to see the real mess that it is. I'll try to get them up.

So, hours later... I have a few pics loaded finally in between all the other things of the day.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn's Garden )
    This was the row of kale. It had 25 kale plants and 25 broccoli plants. there are about 6 broccoli's left. The rest of them are gone...I found a few along the road.

This is the other end of the row. Whats not left.
    [​IMG]

This was the area of greenbeans that were planted...nothing left to speak of.
    [​IMG]

This is part of the greenbeans, too.

[​IMG]

This is the floor of the shed....covered in silt.
    [​IMG]

This is hard to see, but there is a 6" deep cut of the edge of the driveway where we had stones up against the edge of the asphalt
    [​IMG]

This is the debris that plugged up all o the catch basins. leaves ans sticks.
    [​IMG]

This is the neighbors yard filled with all the stuff that washed down the hill from out equipment yard. This ran 6' wide the whole 600 feet from the back to the road. [​IMG]

9. Green Fingers

Green Fingers Seedling

OMG..that is so sad! Hope you will be able to replant/replace all the lost plants soon Carolyn. Good luck.

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow that is awful. Will you be able to recover all that wonderful topsoil? Your garden soil looked so deep and so rich!

11. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Good grief,that must have been some storm to do all that damage :eek:

How galling to have lost lots of your plants and hard work.

Thank goodness that you and yours are safe and sound,although tired.

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Glad you are OK Carolyn, but the loss of your crop really stinks.

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks all. It was a bad storm. I am thankful it wasn't worse, though. This is the second time in the last couple of years this happened to this extent. The plastic that we put down was even more than galling. I spent a small fortune for that silver plastic to raise the cole crops in. Now I have to pick that all up and throw it away and start anew in that space. I think I will start filling sand bags and make a berm at the edge of the driveway to divert the water away from the garden. If you look closely there are plenty of rocks to harvest to do that and the bags are .50 a piece...so a doable project. We will just clean up and keep on going. at least I don't have downed trees or standing water. The only other thing I notice missing is my plastic watering can. It is probably in Kentucky by now.

14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh my!

What a lot of work that just got washed away. I'm so sorry. :(

15. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

So sorry Carolyn, but glad your ok. My heart goes out to you. :smt054

16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Ronni and Donna. I think my husband is more dismayed than me since it was so much work that he got done on Sat. Starting at 7:00 getting it tilled and ready for the seeds and plants. Laying the plastic isn't nearly as hard since we bought the plastic layer, but what a waste of materials and time AND the soil. I am thinking we need to just go get a dumptruck full of top soil from somewhere to replace what went down the ditch. It is getting harder to mow that area with the slope (more of a drop off, really) down to the actual gardening area.