Cat grass? Cat nip? Cat plants?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by carolyn, May 23, 2012.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I had a question at my market the other day for cat "plants" asking if I had any. Ummm, I had some cat grass at the greenhouse for our cat. So I sent her to my house and one of the kids got it for her. So My question is for all of you is do any of you grow plants for your cats? If so, what kind?

AND do you think people would want this at a market. Would you buy it? or am I wasting my time adding this to my list of things to supply/do for the market?

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I have catnip for my boy. He gets a leaf of it every now and then and he loves rubbing all over it :)

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Jen, Our inside one loves it, too. the outside cats act like it doesn't exist. I think it is quite funny as they loved it when they were inside.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I don't grow it for my cats, but for my dogs. it wasn't intentional, but I put it in a pot and the dogs keep it mowed. It's bulbous oat grass. They also mow my oat grass I planted between the pavers.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I can never seem to keep cat grass growing ... it seems to have a short life span. I do have a few small patches of catnip that I keep for my indoor cat. She loves it :)

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Feliz has never liked catnip. However, she likes to chew on sweet Bermuda grass, and when she was an outside cat she made a bed in the nepeta (catmint).
    Carolyn, how about having a small sign "Do you want catgrass?" at your booth, and taking a survey to determine the demand and if it's worth your while.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks, all.

I think I will start some cat grass and take it along, just to see...You never know. The packet of seeds cost me about $1.00 and the soil and tray is a negligible amount so i won't be out much, but I don't have to charge a lot for it either. I may even have catnip out in the one garden if it all didn't get tilled under this year, yet.

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I buy a thing of wheat grass (I think that's what it is) in the organic food section of the grocery store for Missy Mama :p She seems to like it and it keeps her out of the office plants!

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We've got a catnip plant in the south-western corner. It's regularly visited by all cats in the neighbourhood and I'm amazed that it's still alive. :D

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I grow Nepeta for my cats and for the bees. The honey bees here absolutely are wild about this stuff. There are several types of Nepeta.

I can imagine that other people would buy it, but I have only myself to guage it by...well that and one other person that I had recommended it to.

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,
    i have a huge Nepeta'Cataria',..growing in my garden,..none of my tribe of cats pay it any attention,..though i have moved it to a new location this year,..maybe it might draw attention.

13. jared21

jared21 New Seed

I grew catgrass for my cat a few weeks ago, and all he did was chew at the end, but my next door neighbors went mad with it :)

14. oubee

oubee In Flower

If I started growing it, cats from the neighbourhood would all converge to my garden :p