Celosia dying when put outside

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by fish_4_all, May 4, 2010.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I have Celosia Red Velvet and it grows simply wonderful inside and it is thriving in my greenhouse but when I put it out it dies on my. First it seems to wilt even though it is wattered properly, then the leaves shrivel up. Then the plants simply die over about 4-6 days. It is too early to be putting it out or could there be somethng else I am doing wrong?

If it is the cold, is this typical for flowers started from seed to be more tender and need a lot warmer temperatures before exposing them to the elements?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Any plants I want to grow outdoors after having them inside need a hardening off period. Let me explain what I mean by this.

Hardening off gradually exposes the tender plants to wind, sun and rain and toughens them up This helps prevent transplant shock which makes them languish, become stunted or die from sudden changes in temperature.

There are couple of ways you could try to harden off your celosia in the future.

1. Gradually extend their time outdoors in their pot.

2. Put them into a Cold Frame.

I generally harden mine off for around 7-10 days before I transplant them outdoors.
    Place your plants in a sheltered, shady spot outdoors. Leave them for 3-4 hours and gradually increase the time spent outside by 1-2 hours per day.
    Remember to bring your plants back indoors each night though.

After 2-3 days move the plants from their shady spot into morning sun BUT return them to the shade in the afternoon.

After 7 days, the plants should be able to handle sun all day and stay out at night.
    After 7 - 10 days your plants are ready to transplant. Try to do so on a cloudy day and be sure to water well after planting.

Placing plants in a Cold Frame
    Begin 7-10 days before your transplant date.
    Indoor grown plants can be moved and left in a cold frame for hardening off.

Open the cold frame cover for gradually longer periods of time. Start with 3-4 hours and gradually increase the exposure time by 1-2 hours each day.
    Close the cover at night.

4. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

So does that include taking them from a greenhouse? All the ones I have put out in the elements have been put in the greenhouse first for a good 10-15 days. I open it daily to expose everything to wind, direct sun and the rest. Do I still have to harden them off after all that?

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yes it's always best to harden them off for lenthening periods outside. Whether your plants are grown indoors, in a greenhouse or shed it's still important that they grow accustomed to the outside conditions gradually.