Chap Sticks making your lips MORE Chapped!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Tooty2shoes, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Since I saw chapped lips mentioned on another post, I figured I would put this info out there.
    Many people do not know that a lot of chap sticks are made with a petroleum base. Which in turn when used on your lips dries them out. So the more chap stick you use the dryer your lips.Tthe more you apply because of the dryness, and the more product they sell. Can you see the vicious circle forming.
    :eek: So I only use a bees wax base chap stick or other organic oil based ones. I have been using a olive oil base chap stick and it is really nice. :stew1:

SongofJoy57 likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I have 4 chapsticks right now. The 2 I use most often are a generic one that my bf got from Media Day at the Superbowl which is beeswax based and a Burts Bees which is beeswax (and lots of different oils!).
    The 2 I dont use much anymore are Chapstick brand and Blistex, Im not sure what their main ingredients are. Im too lazy to look em up lol

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. okietriker

okietriker Seedling

Hummm, I didn't know that! I think I'm going to switch from my Blistex! Thanks for pointing this out.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I hadn't heard this, either, but I like my "natural" lip balm (lizard lips, burts bee's etc), so that is what I use. I don't like to use any petroleum based products for anything so I "naturally" stay away from them.

Tooty2shoes likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

This is not an advertisement!
    We keep bees, and I always save a bit of the beeswax for chapped lips, red knuckles, and general scrapes. It works wonders and I don't have to worry about anyone being allergic to the ingredients.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

TheBip: the two known brands of chap stick are petroleum based. You may want to check out the ingreds of those Bee's wax chap sticks and be sure they still do not contain any petroleum. Bee's wax is really great for one lips and body like Marlingardener Said in her post.

Carolyn I love Lizard lips too. I agree natural is the only way to go.

Okietriker glad the info helped get rid of that other lip stuff. I know you will feel and see a difference in not using petroleum based lip stuff. :stew1:

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I think it was me that mentioned dry lips and always carrying a chap stick with me...I was buying all those flavored lip gloss when they went on sale at Christmas all the time....well, now my lips actually hurt and I have tried different ones. I tried burt bees and I think it has a mint taste in it...I dislike mint so I threw it out....there is not much around, I have checked but I will do it again. thank you.

9. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

The generic one I have, the ingredients are: Beeswax, Mineral Oil, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Ozokerite, Castor Oil, BHT and Vitamin E.

The Burt's one has: cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed wax, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, olus (vegetable oil, huile vegetale), cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), sclerocarya birrea seed oil, soybean glycerides, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, garcinia indica seed butter*, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) unsaponifiables, cymbopogon martini oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) oil, salvia sclarea (clary) oil, tocopherol, myroxylon pereirae (balsam peru) oil, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, illicium verum (anise) fruit/seed oil, cananga odorata flower oil, glycine soja (soybean) oil, citric acid, geraniol, linalool, benzyl benzoate. *Kokum Butter

Sherry, I also tried and didnt like the minty one, but this one I use doesnt have mint in it, I think only one of their balms does.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I should look into making some but I think it might cost more to do it that way...how much can 1 person use...of course right now I have 1 in my pocket, 2 on the counter in the rest rooms and 1 on my bedroom dresser and 1 sitting next to my computer....that is 5 chapsticks for me...and I still have dry sore lips.

Thank you for all the tips...I thought maybe it was because of my eye drops I use , RX...they do dry my throat...

11. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

[threadjack] Truly, how difficult is it to keep bees? Start up costs? Pro's and cons please. [/threadjack]

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

FBG, I sent you a lengthy private message about beekeeping. You'll learn not to ask me a question! :rolleyes:
    I'm glad you are interested. Beekeeping is a fascinating hobby, pastime, addiction.

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

One good thing about being old and having a pseudo-hippy streak in my younger years is that I heard about this many, many years ago.

In the last 10 years it has been nice to hear so many vindicated who were referred to as a weirdo fringe group trying to subvert society back in the day. ;)

Kay and Tooty2shoes like this.
  14. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Marlingardener Yes you should look into making Bee's wax lip stuff. Sounds like a lot of use folks out there use some form of the stuff. Who knows where it could lead. You could name your product-Bee's Butt Lip Balm. ;)

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Maybe the bees knees lip balm, bee butt sounds as nice as chicken poop lip balm.

16. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Laughing here....no chicken poop lip balm for this gal !